Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup to Muvizu

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
03/12/2011 17:21:57

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
Some Sketchup models...well they are just not Muvizu...they don't fit in with the overall feel of Muvizu, so I decided that for my next Muvi I would make all the props and then share them.

In the past when I imported models that I had made with Sketchup into Muvizu i would get all kind of problems with bits of mesh missing and distorted. I worked out that the Sketchup method of dividing mesh and redividing was the cause of the problem, so I now make sure that each component of a model is a closed model in it's own right. So far so good.

Mapping was my next big problem. Solved it! 3DS Max will import a model directly from Sketchup. If you export that model from 3DS Max as an .obj file and reimport it, then max will map the model for you. I sussed out the ambient occlusion by dropping the AO map generated by Max onto the Diffuse map generated by Max and applying that map to the model.

I then export the model from 3ds Max as an .ase file and import it into Muvizu.

I then ran into collision, which Ziggy & Marco helped with...works!

I have completed one model, and imported the next but there is another problem, here's a vid to demonstrate better...

03/12/2011 18:58:14

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I've noticed that the colour of a wall can change if you resize it - God knows what the Unreal engine is doing to the objects, but it's not that easy to replicate colours even on identical objects. Actually, it's not the colour but the shading that changes, making it look brighter or darker...and that's with Muvizu's own objects. This isn't an answer for you, just a note to let you know I feel your pain
14/12/2011 01:16:51

Dylly
Getting closer...almost got to the bottom of various tiny little calamities and back on course saving out the sections of the model. Just a little bit of clean up to do and I can start building the rest of the sets to match the story board for the next muvi.

14/12/2011 08:26:04

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Dylly

That house looks fantastic - really fits in well with the Muvizu look.

Did you solve the tiling issue - you can always amend the tiling values in the .ase file.

all the best

Toonarama
14/12/2011 09:44:59

Dylly
Thanks Mick,

I realised the problem was in the way I was texturing the models. I was making just a single map that included the id texture and ambient occlusion and then applying to the models. By making two separate maps, one id and one ao I managed to sort out some of the irregularities. I realised the remainder of the problems were with the geometry itself and had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the mesh. Once I had a good mesh and made sure I had plenty of padding on the maps things seemed to work out OK. However there is still a slight problem of different shades of colour on the separate pieces of the model, but as Ziggy says this seems to be an Unreal problem, so I'm trying to hide those shade differences by redesigning the model around them.

The only question left is that of scale. Since the update on Sketchup, the meshes seem to have altered in dimension when imported into Muvizu.

I will keep plugging away at it, as the ultimate aim is to make something of a quality to share with everyone.

Tim
14/12/2011 20:51:30

stun48
stun48
Hi! where i can download the plugin export ASE file google sketchup to UT3 ?...some links posted here not work...plz help
15/12/2011 18:46:41

stun48
stun48
Hi, i've just downloaded Muvizu and its amazing! anyway I want to import objects from the Google Sketchup i've read this thread http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic497-importing-from-google-sketchup.aspx and it says i need the .ASE exporter plugin but when i click on the link to download it it says This Account Has Been Suspended. Is there anywhere also i can download the .ASE exporter plugin?
15/12/2011 20:07:49

ziggy72
Hi Stun48.

The name of the Sketchup plugin you need is HSKP2UNR - it's here :

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=619593

Hope that helps.
15/12/2011 20:30:43

stun48
stun48
Thanks ziggy72 for your response ...i open the link but, nothig... just this: "El blog se ha eliminado. Lo sentimos, el blog de hardpcmtechnologies.blogspot.com se ha eliminado. Esta dirección no está disponible para blogs nuevos"....after 3 hours nothing...dammit!
15/12/2011 20:39:18

stun48
stun48
finaly i found this post on Muvizu "3. Google Sketch Up - Google's 3D modeller - http://sketchup.google.com/ - Plugin http://www.filefront.com/16576145/HSKP2UNR_v098.zip/ or http://belgabor.vodhin.org/software/su2ase.zip¨" and the last link work, but is just a script (code)fileWhaaaaa? any ideea plz...help!
15/12/2011 20:41:55

Dylly
I was just sending you a link to my copy but never mind.

take the code file and place it in the plugins folder in sketchup here's the file path

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins

to access the exporter go to the plugins on the main tool bar in sketchup.

Hope it helps!
Tim
edited by Dylly on 15/12/2011
15/12/2011 21:36:59

stun48
stun48
Tim, thank you for help!..finally work..here is a tutorial for install the ASE plugin export in Google Sketchup http://www.searchgrid.org/index.php?lang=es&cat=3f6&month=2009-08&id=6305 and the link for ASE export plugin is here http://belgabor.vodhin.org/software/su2ase.zip thanks again
16/12/2011 00:19:53

ziggy72
stun48 wrote:
Thanks ziggy72 for your response ...i open the link but, nothig... just this: "El blog se ha eliminado. Lo sentimos, el blog de hardpcmtechnologies.blogspot.com se ha eliminado. Esta dirección no está disponible para blogs nuevos"....after 3 hours nothing...dammit!

Sorry Stun, I had checked that the link was still there but I didn't actually click on it to download. My bad

Good to see Dylly sorted you out. Look forward to seeing your work.
19/12/2011 18:07:08

Dylly
I'm still modelling the cottage, but I'm nearly there, thanks to some very welcome input from Ziggy. Just doors and windows on the ground floor to do and to correct some of the co...mistakes. Someone asked what difference reversing the faces on a model makes so I thought I would illustrate it, along with a split mesh I noticed on the model.

I'm hoping to have the model uploaded before Christmas...fingers crossed!

edited by Dylly on 19/12/2011
19/12/2011 21:25:30

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Looks amazing !!
19/12/2011 21:42:29

toonarama
Dylly
That is a work of art - a wonderful model, you must really like your MIL
20/12/2011 11:08:43

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
That model looks really amazing Dylly! Can't wait for the finished article!

It looks like the guy (HardPCM) who published the ASE export script has deleted his blog and download links for his stuff, which is a shame.

--
Direct, don't animate!
20/12/2011 11:14:03

Dylly
It was a shame Jamie however I thought I might have stumbled upon something pretty nifty but then it didn't do Unreal but this looks like it has some potential http://playuptools.com/
22/12/2011 01:21:56

Dylly
Latest update on the model...

Finally started to get sections into Muvizu for testing and as usual there are some bits that needed tweaking and some bits that needed remodelling from scratch. The dormers on the roof were the first to get a remodel and I've managed to eradicate the distortion on the window frames by beefing up the structure and cleaning up the mesh in Sketchup.

One of the ideas behind the cottage is that the Muvizu Community can cannibalise individual bits of the structure, woodwork, chimneys, doors, windows etc.. to adapt to the basic Muvizu blocks, so it was while I was fiddling around mapping individual sections and taking into account a suggestion from Ziggy that I started texturing the thing up...

so I've decided to make two versions one in Muvizu primaries and one with a more toon/story book feel. Of course it will mean its going to take me a bit longer to get the thing posted but I'm enjoying every minute of making these sets for my next clip.

The textures are just slapped together at the moment but, I'm trying to piece together a few tutorials and learn how to stitch together a descent map as I go, as well as trying to cut down the number of polys in the model.

This Muvizu malarky is damned addictive and opens the doors to learning so many other skills, be it modelling, writing, acting...

Let me know what you think or if you have any tips on texturing...or anything I've missed or should add as I go along.

edited by Dylly on 22/12/2011
22/12/2011 09:00:26

toonarama
Dylly

The additional texturing looks fantastic but I agree that having both versions would be the best idea so it can fit different looks.

Really appreciate what you are doing here. The Muvizu community has certainly been enriched since you arrived.

all the best

Toonarama
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup to Muvizu