Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? Camera movement

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
01/04/2012 10:48:54

HayManMarcExperimental user
HayManMarc
I have found that camera manipulation while filming is incredibly difficult. This can be made simpler by implementing a start and stop position for a camera's movement. That way the camera will smoothly move from one position to the other. The movie-making game "The Movies" had this feature and it was very nice.
01/04/2012 13:07:38

gimmick
gimmick
I agree with that.

tip : in Muvizu, the camera manipulation with keys is a bit easier than with mouse
01/04/2012 16:03:43

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Also, did you know you can have the camera move just by using your mouse wheel to control the speed? Try it out - you can 'steer' the camera with the keys while it moves along. Handy feature - never found a use for it yet, but you never know...
01/04/2012 16:37:07

HayManMarcExperimental user
HayManMarc
Well, maybe I'll play around with it some more and see what happens. I forgot about using keys. Also, I thought the mouse wheel was for zoom?? Hmmm, I have some exploring to do.
24/06/2012 19:01:32

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
...and on the subject of the camera moving about when we don't want it to - although we've finally got rid of the swoopy camera every time we edit a character, can we also get rid of the 'help' when moving large objects? I'm trying to line up two ground planes, and Muvizu insists on swooping round to face something else to 'help' me line them up!! Leave the bloody view alone, please, and let me worry about what I'm looking at. Seriously, really really annoying this one, hate it.
24/06/2012 23:57:18

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
HayManMarc wrote:
I have found that camera manipulation while filming is incredibly difficult.

Really? I've always found it ridiculously simple.

HA! I kid of course, it's possibly one of the worst systems for moving anything anywhere and I have said so many times. But, as long as you never move the camera, it's a good system.
26/06/2012 11:21:08

Marco_D
Marco_D
Hi everyone,

*drum roll*

Have you tried to use a XBox controller for the camera? I remember seeing one of my former colleagues doing that and he was quite impressed with the results

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Marco
26/06/2012 12:38:13

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
Its a pretty big change and a decent amount of work....

But im in agreement. The Camera movement stuff is pretty difficult to work and
could be improved quite a bit in my opinion.

But im just a lowly animator...what do i know
26/06/2012 12:38:45

skylikeMuvizu mogulExperimental user
skylike
WTF! Seriously... oh freak me that would be ideal!!!
Marco_D wrote:
Hi everyone,

*drum roll*

Have you tried to use a XBox controller for the camera? I remember seeing one of my former colleagues doing that and he was quite impressed with the results

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Marco
26/06/2012 12:42:34

Marco_D
Marco_D
I've never tried myself, but he made it to work

Let me know if you try it.

Cheers,
M
26/06/2012 12:51:15

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Marco_D wrote:

Yeah, that was Gordon. He wasn't using it in Muvizu though, it was in morpheme as he was preparing animations to go into Muvizu. Currently there isn't anyway to simply connect a games controller and just use it.

What you can try, and I had some luck with it using a WiiMote, is GlovePie.

https://sites.google.com/site/carlkenner/glovepie
http://glovepie.org/glovepie.php
http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/2689

Basically its works by mapping keyboard or mouse controls (and combinations thereof) to buttons on whatever controller you are using.

I think there is a xbox controller in the office so if I get a chance I'll give it a go.

--
Direct, don't animate!
26/06/2012 13:19:46

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Please do jamie, please do!
26/06/2012 13:53:59

Marco_D
Marco_D
It was glasgowjim actually.

He posted something along this lines:

"Also, if you have a control pad that is compatible with your PC (like the XBox 360 one) you can use an application like XPadder to allow you to use it to control Muvizu:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml"

Cheers,
M
edited by Marco_D on 26/06/2012
27/06/2012 15:25:39

Marco_D
Marco_D
After further investigation on this matter I have to say that this is not a viable solution for the camera movement.

I didn't run a test myself since our controllers are wireless, but I did managed to talk to GlasgowJim. His results were not encouraging I'm afraid.

We will keep looking for other solutions

Cheers,
M
27/06/2012 16:13:43

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
Perhaps a job opportunity for redundant Space Shuttle pilots?
27/06/2012 17:32:43

Dreeko
What are the present thoughts on moving the cameras in a way similar to the methods used for characters?

ie.
Clicking on the ground plane for waypoints with a slider for speed and height. (separate timelines?)
Using the same ball in a circle control method (presently used for head movement) for pivoting the camera around.
A "look at" option which would lock the camera view on a selected character/object with the ability to animate this on and off.

Another one which has just came to me..
Loose tracking.
The camera uses the same recorded movement path as the character/object but can be position away from the character with an optional overshoot controlled by an adjustable slider (similar to the smoothing option)This could obviously work in conjunction with the"look at" feature.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
D
edited by Dreeko on 27/06/2012
28/06/2012 00:50:23

WozToonsExperimental user
WozToons
Brilliant!!!
28/06/2012 10:36:13

Marco_D
Marco_D
Dreeko wrote:
What are the present thoughts on moving the cameras in a way similar to the methods used for characters?

ie.
Clicking on the ground plane for waypoints with a slider for speed and height. (separate timelines?)
Using the same ball in a circle control method (presently used for head movement) for pivoting the camera around.
A "look at" option which would lock the camera view on a selected character/object with the ability to animate this on and off.

Another one which has just came to me..
Loose tracking.
The camera uses the same recorded movement path as the character/object but can be position away from the character with an optional overshoot controlled by an adjustable slider (similar to the smoothing option)This could obviously work in conjunction with the"look at" feature.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
D
edited by Dreeko on 27/06/2012

Hi Mr. D,

I think those are two excellent ways to improve camera movement.
I honestly don't know the required technical specifications to do this, but what I will do is put this in as an improvement

Nice brainstorming guys.

Cheers,
M
edited by Marco_D on 28/06/2012
28/06/2012 11:54:38

Dreeko
Marco_D wrote:

Hi Mr. D,

I think those are two excellent ways to improve camera movement.
I honestly don't know the required technical specifications to do this, but what I will do is put this in as an improvement

Nice brainstorming guys.

Cheers,
M

I particularly like the idea of overshoot, where the camera has a slight lag in following the character path and slightly goes beyond when the character stops and then smooths its way back to position.

Do you get what I mean by this one folks?
06/07/2012 18:24:12

simonhefferMuvizu mogulExperimental user
simonheffer
Tracking is definitely a good idea although I think I'd still prefer my own way-points (with opportunity to edit camera properties like depth of field at those points). As I'm sure I've mentioned before moving the field of view smoothly is a pain - no chance of that Jaws shot zooming in on Brody on the beach.

Another point slightly off topic , but when I right-click the camera view to go to the camera I'd much rather be positioned behind the camera i.e. go to the view the cameras showing. Most of the time I go to the camera I want to move it and it's easier from behind the camera.

Simon
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? Camera movement