Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
31/10/2013 17:06:37

CaroleMuvizu staff
Carole
Hi everyone,
Despite the fairly low number of stickmen massacres we had submitted, we’ve been debating the idea of running monthly themes for videos on Muvizu.

We’ve seen this done really effectively before with digital art and photography sites, sometimes around a single word or even with several set items. In fact I believe we’ve done it here before with providing a soundtrack for folks to animate?

As we have such a creative community here on our boards we thought it was worth sounding you all out about what you thought we could do to help get more good videos through the Muvizu gallery and to make the whole experience even more fun for all.

We reckon it can sometimes be that completely clear blank sheet of paper that is the stumbling block for new users.

So what might we do? What would work? Here’s one - November is Sweet Potato awareness month and a raft of vegetable-themed skits could give us some fun… or maybe not (blushes)… Movember is looming too? Any better ideas or thoughts about structure?
31/10/2013 17:18:41

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Maybe small competitions each month with tiny prizes, maybe easter egg codes as prizes?
Good idea though.
31/10/2013 17:26:27

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
Hi there

Contests are fun but my issue with a lot of these contests is that the prizes are often better for beginners then the ones who would win the prize so I had an idea if there is some way we can name another participant or something if we win. I find its not a level playing field which is why i tend to hold back and not participate at times or deliberately shall we say underperform. The best contest we had was the one last christmas where we had to decipher a code as that was not based on who has the best pc and who had the most skill and possibly formal training in film making.

Another one is I noticed the last contest was based on likes youtube likes. If your unaware this can be gamed easily there are exchanges that you can sign up for trading likes among other things. (although this is against youtube tos its an issue of getting caught hehe )
31/10/2013 18:04:04

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
I think the format used by the 11secondclub works whereby the base dialogue/soundtrack is provided to animate to. Perhaps make it 30 seconds as muvizu is so much quicker to use?
31/10/2013 19:35:51

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I actually did make a stickman vid, but forgot to finish it because I got sidetracked. That's the problem with competitions - meeting the deadlines. Whatever you decide on, give as much notice as you can before the due date please, as some of us are stretched for time and have to plan ahead.

(I will finish the stickman vid and post it for Christmas instead, even though its not at all festive... )
31/10/2013 21:14:08

MrDrWho13
toonarama wrote:
I think the format used by the 11secondclub works whereby the base dialogue/soundtrack is provided to animate to. Perhaps make it 30 seconds as muvizu is so much quicker to use?

Yup, I second this idea.

urbanlamb wrote:
Another one is I noticed the last contest was based on likes youtube likes. If your unaware this can be gamed easily there are exchanges that you can sign up for trading likes among other things. (although this is against youtube tos its an issue of getting caught hehe )

Yeah, easily rigged.

urbanlamb wrote:
The best contest we had was the one last christmas where we had to decipher a code as that was not based on who has the best pc and who had the most skill and possibly formal training in film making.

This was a good idea, the power of the brain rather than that of your PC.
01/11/2013 09:33:19

bigwallyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
bigwally
Carole wrote:
Hi everyone,
Despite the fairly low number of stickmen massacres we had submitted, we’ve been debating the idea of running monthly themes for videos on Muvizu.

We’ve seen this done really effectively before with digital art and photography sites, sometimes around a single word or even with several set items. In fact I believe we’ve done it here before with providing a soundtrack for folks to animate?

As we have such a creative community here on our boards we thought it was worth sounding you all out about what you thought we could do to help get more good videos through the Muvizu gallery and to make the whole experience even more fun for all.

We reckon it can sometimes be that completely clear blank sheet of paper that is the stumbling block for new users.

So what might we do? What would work? Here’s one - November is Sweet Potato awareness month and a raft of vegetable-themed skits could give us some fun… or maybe not (blushes)… Movember is looming too? Any better ideas or thoughts about structure?

First
, you shouldn't use Stick figures as the basis for any competition (sorry Stickman fans). Stick figure animation is for people who a) Can't draw b) can't animate c) have no imagination. (There, I said it. I'm "that guy"). That could be one of the reasons there were only 3 entries (we know the other reason).

Second
, announce the contest/competition/survey right here, on your web site, not via email.

Third, the Golden Rule... Don't change the rules of the contest in the middle of the contest. Remember the 10 Second AMD Fusion contest? I had whipped up 2 ten-second videos while others were complaining that it was impossible. You changed the duration to 30-seconds and that completely changed the scope of my videos. I had no chance.

Fourth
, do not use views/likes as a way to determine the winner. Views and Likes can be purchased.

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now.
edited by bigwally on 01/11/2013
01/11/2013 10:05:26

Lev_Dynamite
Lev_Dynamite
bigwally wrote:
First, you shouldn't use Stick figures as the basis for any competition (sorry Stickman fans). Stick figure animation is for people who a) Can't draw b) can't animate c) have no imagination. (There, I said it. I'm "that guy"). That could be one of the reasons there were only 3 entries (we know the other reason).
I think that, no matter what parameters you set for a competition entry, it will never be 100% perfect or agreeable with everyone and there will always be someone who would like it to be a little different. The point of this competition was to be simple, and the Stickmen characters are a good representation of simplicity.
I don't think someone's ability to draw or animate really affects how easy it is for them to make Muvizu videos - that's the joy of Muvizu, ANYONE can use it regardless of art or animation skill level! The imagination thing - I was actually impressed with the level of creativity and uniqueness in some of the videos (fazz68's use of Play+ face attachments was super clever) and I think it takes a LOT of imagination to craft something interesting with such non-specific character. Are we really trying to quantify imagination here, though? Again, I think it's a matter of opinion. It's a shame you did not enjoy the Stickman concept, but those who took part certainly seemed to enjoy it and I know I enjoyed watching it. Hopefully we'll have something better suited to you in the near future.

bigwally wrote:
Second, announce the contest/competition/survey right here, on your web site, not via email.

Third, the Golden Rule... Don't change the rules of the contest in the middle of the contest. Remember the 10 Second AMD Fusion contest? I had whipped up 2 ten-second videos while others were complaining that it was impossible. You changed the duration to 30-seconds and that completely changed the scope of my videos. I had no chance.

Fourth
, do not use views/likes as a way to determine the winner. Views and Likes can be purchased.
All taken on board, thanks. We've had a few changes in the Marketing team over the past year that should see our contests more rigidly observed and run, though there will always be teething issues and we apologise for when this occurs. We're learning what does and does not work as we go along and, again, hope that you find future events more agreeable. The input of yourself and others will help inform us with this, so thank you to everyone in this thread for your feedback.
01/11/2013 10:54:56

bigwally
Lev_Dynamite wrote:
I think that, no matter what parameters you set for a competition entry, it will never be 100% perfect or agreeable with everyone and there will always be someone who would like it to be a little different. The point of this competition was to be simple, and the Stickmen characters are a good representation of simplicity.
I don't think someone's ability to draw or animate really affects how easy it is for them to make Muvizu videos - that's the joy of Muvizu, ANYONE can use it regardless of art or animation skill level!

Point taken. It was my opinion, but, there are reasons why there is a lack of Stickmen animations on Muvizu in general.

Lev_Dynamite wrote:
The imagination thing - I was actually impressed with the level of creativity and uniqueness in some of the videos (fazz68's use of Play+ face attachments was super clever) and I think it takes a LOT of imagination to craft something interesting with such non-specific character. Are we really trying to quantify imagination here, though? Again, I think it's a matter of opinion. It's a shame you did not enjoy the Stickman concept, but those who took part certainly seemed to enjoy it and I know I enjoyed watching it. Hopefully we'll have something better suited to you in the near future.

All three of them?

bigwally wrote:
Second, announce the contest/competition/survey right here, on your web site, not via email.

Fourth

Lev_Dynamite wrote:
All taken on board, thanks. We've had a few changes in the Marketing team over the past year that should see our contests more rigidly observed and run, though there will always be teething issues and we apologise for when this occurs. We're learning what does and does not work as we go along and, again, hope that you find future events more agreeable. The input of yourself and others will help inform us with this, so thank you to everyone in this thread for your feedback.

Thank you.
01/11/2013 10:55:06

MrDrWho13
Well said, both of you.
01/11/2013 16:20:40

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I am happy with everything just as long as muvizu is not judging by the "cinematic masterpiece" rule and only looking for fun ideas or just taking the entries and putting the names in a hat or whatever. My only issue is skill level some of us come in with lots of tools and abilities and others barely know how to use a pc

I just want a way to give prizes to others if i dont need em eg: mic I only have one mouth Big Grin

p.s. I didnt enter the stickman contest due to lack of time mostly
edited by urbanlamb on 01/11/2013
01/11/2013 16:58:56

chucklesExperimental user
chuckles
I have not heard anything about any competition for ages! You used to post this info on the Gallery Page, where I default to. Are these competitions hidden somewhere? I thought that the Gallery was the "Heart" of Muvizu, where people showed us just what they have been doing. If this is no longer the case, then please let us know where to look in future. An Advert for the prize, was the animation that won a previous competition long ago! If it was a competition to do an advert for the prize, then why wasn't this stated at the time? Also, if the contests are going to be fair, then surely the "Ordinary Muvizu" and the "Plus Muvizu" should have different competitions?
01/11/2013 18:31:19

MrDrWho13
Yes, the Halloween one was a bit impromptu, but any competitions from now should be shown on the front page, like the Christmas one last year. (That was brilliant by the way)

If the user does not want the prize, Urbanlamb's example seems good, then it should go to the next best, or if it's names out of a hat, then pick out another.
03/11/2013 23:57:11

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
Hi guys, I think competitions on this website should be purely imaginative, creative, and FUN! oh, and funny....

I did not like the Christmas comp last year, I thought it was non of the above! I think it did nothing to promote Muvizu what so ever, sorry HQ, but that **** hot Laptop could have been well used by a good Muvizu film maker, and more good videos would have been made for the Muvizu gallery with it.

Keep it simple, give people a theme of the month, but it has to be funny, creative, and FUN!

Topics could be like, what's big in the news or world events for that month, UFO sightings on the increase, 80's music revival, another Housing Boom, Butter is now good for you! ect ect, you could do it sort of like a Zubox sort of thing? give us a theme, or if Muvizu HQ have a joke in the office they think would be funny Muvizued, start the month with that theme, and at the end of the month, HQ will vote what clip amused and entertained them the most.

Ok, time limit I think too short, the joke gets clipped too much, spoils the fun, and gives me a Horrible Headache Whaaaaa?
Too long, too boring, long views for Muvizu HQ, so how about 10 secs min - 20 secs max??

Prizes, come on guys...... Not a lot just little!

A monthly comp should have prizes like, useful books, cinema tickets, Dvds, maybe the odd pc software, game?? T-shirts, posters, or if your feeling a bit stingy a packet of Tunnocks Tea cakes.
I also think a yearly competition would be great for the company, and us Muvizuers also, something for the Newly talented and hardcore pros, you know who you areCool
Again, the prizes, not a lot, but a little more! again, things like Microphones, external hard-drives, edit software ect ect..
The yearly theme should be, Who's yer Daddy, Who's the best Moviemaker of the year, be it anything, as long as its great, simple.... and it should only be judged by HQ..

If we can get this going, I think the gallery, youtube, and a lot more outsiders will want to come and play....
04/11/2013 01:36:31

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
why funny?

just curious the rest i dont worry but I dont think everything should necessarily be a comedy my christmas stuff is usually more well christmasy. I tell a story or do a little song. So I guess because my videos might be creative I can't enter because they wont be funny

Also stay away from something like tickets to somethign or other it runs on the assumption the person is able to use them and even lives in the area. I would imagine most cinema tickets would be for things in and around england and scotland. I like to go to events but not that far :P
edited by urbanlamb on 04/11/2013
04/11/2013 01:56:26

bigwally
urbanlamb wrote:

Also stay away from something like tickets to somethign or other it runs on the assumption the person is able to use them and even lives in the area. I would imagine most cinema tickets would be for things in and around england and scotland. I like to go to events but not that far :P
edited by urbanlamb on 04/11/2013

I would love tickets for anything in Scotland (since that's where half my heritage comes from) as long as you pay for my taxi fare .
04/11/2013 06:55:53

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
Funny, creative, yes, but it has to be entertaining, prizes, not a lot just a little, yearly prize, not a lot but a bit more.
Peace, artpen......
04/11/2013 07:26:16

MrDrWho13
artpen wrote:
I think it did nothing to promote Muvizu what so ever, sorry HQ, but that **** hot Laptop could have been well used by a good Muvizu film maker, and more good videos would have been made for the Muvizu gallery with it.

Good point!

artpen wrote:
Funny, creative, yes, but it has to be entertaining, prizes, not a lot just a little, yearly prize, not a lot but a bit more.

artpen wrote:
A monthly comp should have prizes like, useful books, cinema tickets, Dvds, maybe the odd pc software, game?? T-shirts, posters, or if your feeling a bit stingy a packet of Tunnocks Tea cakes.

Yeah, something small, but something that people want to win!
04/11/2013 15:00:30

CaroleMuvizu staff
Carole
Thanks all for some really useful and interesting contributions to this.

We'll 'chew' it all a little bit more grouphug and report back - more competitions in future for sure though!
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.