Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Edit Muvizu AVI files in Sony Vegas

pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
18/02/2014 00:36:26

deedee23
deedee23
I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 and all of a sudden, today, I cannot drag my Muvizu AVI files down to the timeline. I'm getting this message:

I've imported and edited AVI files in Sony Vegas from Muvizu before. Why am I having issues now? I don't recall doing anything differently before.

Can anyone help me with this?
18/02/2014 01:07:29

deedee23
deedee23
I switched from Windows Media Player which is real jerky to VLC media player. With VLC I'm getting this message:

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?
18/02/2014 06:28:15

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
Your AVI file is probably corrupted. This can happen if your movie from Muvizu is over 1 minute long. If it is less than 1 minute, then try storing it as a different file type. I have used Vegas for over 10 years. It has problems importing AVI files unless they are near perfect with all the i's dotted and the t's crossed.
18/02/2014 15:03:49

deedee23
deedee23
Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying.

My roommate downloaded something to convert my AVI files. This allowed me to edit my files in Sony Vegas, and cut the upload time on YouTube down from over 480 minutes to 20 minutes.

I contacted customer service and here's a summary of what they said:

1. Make sure you choose a Codec other than "Uncompressed", since uncompressed AVI files can be massive in size, and can cause issues when they get too big. We recommend "Xvid MPEG-4 Codec" and "Lagarith Lossless Codec", since they tend to have the highest compatibility with other video editing applications.

Download VirtualDub and run your video files through this before putting them through any other video editing applications. VirtualDub is a free and easy-to-use tool which helps you "trim the fat" and generally tidy-up the coding of videos to make them more acceptable for other video editing applications.
05/03/2014 11:05:34

halong
halong
Convert the umcompressed AVI files to MP4 format using AppGeeker before importing into Sony Vegas for editing. There is absolutely no loss in video quality.

http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-avi-to-mp4-mac.html
05/03/2014 14:53:41

WozToonsExperimental user
WozToons
Instead of rendering as a .AVI file, on the make video dialogue, under the advanced tab, there is a drop down menu where you can select between "video" and "TGA sequence". Choose "TGA sequence" which renders the frames individually and then import into Vegas as a still image sequence by choosing the first frame in the import file selector and selecting the checkbox for open as still image sequence at the bottom.

That's the way I do it as the quality is totally preserved and it's easier to edit. You can then render from Vegas to whatever you choose, I personally use the Main Concept codec as after extensive tests I think it provides the best balance between quality and size for uploading to Youtube.

Hope this helps.
05/03/2014 15:17:52

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
if your rendering in avi format because of the codecs that muvizu is taking advantage of the maximum clip size is 1.99 gig if you hit 2.0 gig the file will not play if your rendering at 720p you can render a clip that is 1 minute long maximum due to this limitation. This is a 32bit windows issue which muvizu has not upgraded yet its on their massive board of post it notes.

if you lower the resolution you can output longer clips

or as woztoons says you can render the entire 20 minute clip as targa sequence however many people find this to be not what they want because they want to preserver sound or something but if your getting those messages reduce the size of the clip render to below 2 gig and it will work or should work
05/03/2014 15:51:31

WozToons
urbanlamb wrote:
as woztoons says you can render the entire 20 minute clip as targa sequence however many people find this to be not what they want because they want to preserver sound or something)

A TGA sequence render also produces a .WAV sound file which can be imported into Vegas in the normal way. There is nothing else to preserve. Once in Vegas it is just like any other clip.
05/03/2014 16:11:01

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
WozToons wrote:
urbanlamb wrote:
as woztoons says you can render the entire 20 minute clip as targa sequence however many people find this to be not what they want because they want to preserver sound or something)

A TGA sequence render also produces a .WAV sound file which can be imported into Vegas in the normal way. There is nothing else to preserve. Once in Vegas it is just like any other clip.

you mean the wav file is part of each tga? I have not seen this but must try it. I assumed that the wav file was seperate but perhaps I am wrong since in muvizu I dont use tga (no point really as my logitech codec makes me happy)
05/03/2014 16:17:40

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Woz - In Vegas can you group them into one clip rather than have 100 clips of 1 frame each - this is what I find annoying about TGA, that and the fact that it trashes the Project Media list.
05/03/2014 16:33:33

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
tga's are nice but I am was the assumption that muvizu outputs a seperate .wav file plus at 720p the use of tga is somewhat almost overkill. I had considered using it at 1080p because it makes more sense to do so however you need the space to do it a tga sequence is larger then an uncompressed avi file. In my humble opinion especially at 720p tga sequence is not necessary unless you are wanting to do a stop motion edit then its easier, but to each his own. I know ziggy is using em but he has the hard drive space to do it and is working on a long term project that would benefit from it.
05/03/2014 16:52:08

WozToons
ukBerty wrote:
Woz - In Vegas can you group them into one clip rather than have 100 clips of 1 frame each - this is what I find annoying about TGA, that and the fact that it trashes the Project Media list.

I thought that's what I said. Select "open as still image sequence". I sometimes forget to check the box and have to redo it. That's a pain I know but the media list is ok if you import it as a sequence. Makes it tidier if you rename them.
05/03/2014 16:56:58

WozToons
urbanlamb wrote:

you mean the wav file is part of each tga? I have not seen this but must try it. I assumed that the wav file was seperate but perhaps I am wrong since in muvizu I dont use tga (no point really as my logitech codec makes me happy)

It is a separate file.

I really can't see why people have difficulties with this way of working. Once in Vegas it's the same as any video clip, video track and sound track. Have you ever tried to edit an Xvid in Vegas? Impossible. The less encoding and decoding performed on the initial render the better imho.
edited by WozToons on 05/03/2014
05/03/2014 17:05:35

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
WozToons wrote:
urbanlamb wrote:

It is a separate file.

I really can't see why people have difficulties with this way of working. Once in Vegas it's the same as any video clip, video track and sound track. Have you ever tried to edit an Xvid in Vegas? Impossible. The less encoding and decoding performed on the initial render the better imho.

I dont use xvid I dont like it
okay so the wav file is seperate you had me confused to be honest .
There are times when for the purposes of editing you might want some sound with the actual video and there are other times when you dont. I love tga for some things but for most I dont really want to mess with em especially if I am doing something with speeding things up or slowing em down eg: motion tracking I find them hard to work with and there are times when sound is needed to time things. At the end I remove the sound and relay it in its own track but sometimes it can be helpful when timing certain things. It really depends on the application and what your doing with it.
05/03/2014 17:12:58

WozToons
Agreed, it's horses for courses. I got so fed up with codecs that in the end I opted for still images. It also enables you to mess around with them in a graphics program prior to editing. Saves having to do screenshots as well. So basically I'm saying I'm bone idle. Big Grin
05/03/2014 17:26:21

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
hehe well if anyone has learned anything about me its I am always going in 10 directions all at once. I suppose I will be idle when I die Big Grin . I have slowed down some over the years but still not as much as I think I have when I see 20 year olds unable to keep up to me ^^

anyhow what was this thread about again *peaks*
05/03/2014 17:50:05

WozToons
The .AVI problem. It's a bit like the measurement problem in Physics. Big Grin
05/03/2014 19:38:38

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
WozToons wrote:
Agreed, it's horses for courses. I got so fed up with codecs that in the end I opted for still images. It also enables you to mess around with them in a graphics program prior to editing. Saves having to do screenshots as well. So basically I'm saying I'm bone idle. Big Grin

Yup, with you on that one In the end, with the size of the 1080 stuff, you sort of have to migrate to it just to get rid of the shot length limits. Having to create a new directory for each shot isn't fun, but I'll take that over a 20 second (!!) avi limit at 1080. But for 720 stuff, it is probably overkill, like Urban says. Can't hurt though Big Grin
06/03/2014 05:56:19

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
WozToons wrote:
Select "open as still image sequence".

Ah - now I get it - that makes sense (I can't actually get it to work as it can't find any but the first image, but I get the idea and I'm sure I'll suss it)

Many thanks for that. I'm now much more of a fan of TGA - like you I have given up with codecs.
06/03/2014 09:25:54

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
My current film/animation project involves a considerable amount of work with HD film footage from the bog standard camcorder, production quality cameras and even aerial footage from a drone, high resolution graphics and animation both traditional cell animation and rendered output from Maya and Muvizu. Combining and editing all of this footage had caused some considerable headaches when I started on this project a year and a half ago. I had thought my only solution was to upgrade my editing software from Vegas Movie Studio to something more professional, that was until I started doing a little digging and research and in desperation fired off a good old fashioned hand written letter to the BBC. In return I received a very detailed monograph upon film editing along with a contact for a 'local' (to the boat) expert in the subject. John the 'expert' was good enough to show me around a professional studio and help set up my 'editing' pipeline using the software that I had to get the best out of the various image media I was using. In the process of organising my pipeline John passed on a very handy link to the following YouTube tutorial which has proven invaluable when dealing with all things 'codec' and 'HD'.
pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Edit Muvizu AVI files in Sony Vegas