Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Pat Marr's Contest: Entries due by Sept 15

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
16/08/2016 14:33:28

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
OK, here's the lowdown on my contest:

1) it is a hybrid contest (open to people using the free version AND the paid version), with separate prizes and judging criteria for each.

2) Winner in the free version category will receive a paid license
Winner in the full version category will get $50 USD
There will be uncompensated honorable mentions in both categories, and each video will be thoroughly reviewed by me and any other judges.

3) submissions should be posted in this thread any time you're ready, but not after midnight GMT on Sept 15.
(that's 7pm Eastern USA time, 4 pm pacific time... just to be clear.)

4) Any forum member who doesn't participate can help judge, if they commit to a timely verdict (within 24 hours after the contest ends). Willing judges should contact me by personal message. Judges should also be willing to offer a written commentary on each video for purposes of edification and constructive critique.

5) Theme is open. Knock yourself out!

6) time constraint is also fairly open, but I hope you keep your video under 6 minutes

7) Please do not recycle old videos. All entries should be started and finished in the time frame of this contest.

8) submissions should be accompanied by the artists review of his/her own video, complete with a description of what they were trying to accomplish and anything else we might miss if we weren't told about it

9) entries will be judged according to the following check list. Points will be added or subtracted based on whether these traits are present in your video. Nobody will have them all, but if you plan the video around this check list, your chances of winning are greater. Failure to meet the legality requirement will result in disqualification

===================================================
Free version submissions will be judged on how well the story is presented, with bonus
points added for whatever WOW factor you can create with stock Muvizu

-------following pertains to both groups:
foreign language videos must have English subtitles
themes and language should be suitable for children
===================================================

Paid version criteria: points (1 to 10) could be awarded for each element in the list, depending on whether it was used at all, or on how well it was used

COMPLIANCE (does the entry meet the contest rules? )

THE STORY (does it flow? make sense? use of metaphor, irony, etc? Is it funny? ) ((I will add points for a good story))

INNOVATION (is there something new here? )

ORIGINALITY (did author use ALL original content? (as opposed to incorporating the work of others)

IMPROVEMENT (is this a step up from the person's other work?)

LEGALITY (are all elements legal to use? public domain or royalty free? original content?)
  • music (cite license, public domain status or originality)
  • downloaded models *
  • 2d graphics
  • other merged video

MODELLING (quality of models, attachments, textures etc created by the project author) *

CHARACTER CREATION (clever use of attachments, such as Ikes' chicken or T-Rex idea) *

SET BUILDING (is set original? or downloaded? How cool is it?) *

BACKGROUND MUSIC (does it add something? Or get in the way? Is it original? Do you have the rights to use it?)

TECHNIQUE (points awarded for each technique listed)
  • shading/lighting
  • keyframing*
  • effective use of environment
  • merging elements from different sources
  • any other cool technique not named here
EDITING (value added in video editor)
  • additional keyframing
  • green screen
  • use of 2d elements to simulate 3d environment
  • special effects
  • color binding to make all merged elements look like they exist in the same world
  • any other cool editing tricks not named here

edited by PatMarrNC on 16/08/2016
16/08/2016 15:22:50

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Would it be a good idea to create two separate threads for this?
This sounds like a pretty good competition though, I look forward to seeing what everyone can come up with!
16/08/2016 17:11:53

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Well Pat I see your starting your own contest, open theme...hmmm you know I might enter, I do have another side project that I just started, it's another Alien Grey episode but it's a little different this time, I gave alien Grey a face lift and redone his saucer, not going into details but I'm not worried about winning, if I do I'll use the prize money for a new processor, yep thinking of upgrading to AMD 290 graphics card.
16/08/2016 17:21:30

MrDrWho13
clayster2012 wrote:
thinking of upgrading to AMD 290 graphics card.

I'd go with an RX480, GTX1060 or GTX1070 since you'll get better performance for a lower price.
16/08/2016 20:21:17

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
clayster2012 wrote:
Well Pat I see your starting your own contest, open theme...hmmm you know I might enter, I do have another side project that I just started, it's another Alien Grey episode but it's a little different this time, I gave alien Grey a face lift and redone his saucer, not going into details but I'm not worried about winning, if I do I'll use the prize money for a new processor, yep thinking of upgrading to AMD 290 graphics card.

didn't you just install a new graphics card??
17/08/2016 04:16:59

tonyob67
tonyob67
I think I will enter this one to, I have a story in my head for a video that may have a chance
17/08/2016 04:36:17

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
PatMarrNC wrote:
clayster2012 wrote:

didn't you just install a new graphics card??

Yes I did, but i got the new Oculus, I thought this would be strong enough, but it requires AMD 290 are greater, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade my processor also.
edited by clayster2012 on 17/08/2016
19/08/2016 19:41:15

Rocque
Rocque
I only enter these so I keep animating. However this one is leaving me in the dust before I even start. My mind is a blank, and then knowing all the cool things people will be doing is intimidating right off the bat. I am getting the "who does she think she is entering this little voice in my head". I hate to waste the judges time with my lack of ability, so I might sit this one out.

You have put a lot of thought into this Pat, and I am sure the results will be outstanding and appreciated. If I can come up with a story that I think I have enough knowledge to put into Muvizu, you never know, I might go ahead and waste the judges time. Maybe I will really have to start sending them some pay pal $$.
19/08/2016 19:45:15

MrDrWho13
Rocque wrote:
I only enter these so I keep animating. However this one is leaving me in the dust before I even start. My mind is a blank, and then knowing all the cool things people will be doing is intimidating right off the bat. I am getting the "who does she think she is entering this little voice in my head". I hate to waste the judges time with my lack of ability, so I might sit this one out.

Ha! Don't worry Rocque, you're not wasting anyone's time. The whole point of the competition is to have people at various skill levels enter and learn. (I certainly loved watching every single entry to the previous two competitions)

As for the little voice in your head, that's probably not going away. You can, however, ignore it because it's trying its best to be unhelpful!
20/08/2016 02:15:02

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Rocque wrote:

You have put a lot of thought into this Pat, and I am sure the results will be outstanding and appreciated. If I can come up with a story that I think I have enough knowledge to put into Muvizu, you never know, I might go ahead and waste the judges time. Maybe I will really have to start sending them some pay pal $$.

aw shucks, Rocque... I'd hate it if you didn't come out and play with the rest of us kids!
Don't be intimidated by that list of things I'll be watching for... they aren't requirements, just a heads up for those people who like to work to a check list.

I puposefully made it wide open in terms of time (any length from zero to six minutes) and topic (anything that strikes your fancy. )

"Waste the judges' time????" no way, that could never happen. The only way our time could be wasted is if nobody bothered to submit anything.

If your mind is a blank, I suggest submitting a variation on one of your HitFilm exercises.
20/08/2016 03:25:17

tonyob67
tonyob67
Pat, Congratulations for wining the 20 seconds contest...

I have 2 questions for your contest.

Can I submit 2 videos?

I am working on a video that is not my original story, it is based on a popular Mexican joke but I changed and added things, so it is not the original joke, because I changed a lot of things, but the end is the same. Can I submit that video to the contest?

The other video is my original story.

Thank you
20/08/2016 18:08:50

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
tonyob67 wrote:

Can I submit 2 videos?

I am working on a video that is not my original story, it is based on a popular Mexican joke but I changed and added things, so it is not the original joke, because I changed a lot of things, but the end is the same. Can I submit that video to the contest?

Thank you

if they both meet the requirement of being started and finished within the 30 day contest window, then yes, you can submit them both. I have no way of knowing when you started these, so I have to depend on the honor system. .. and I trust that nobody would value their personal integrity low enough that they'd risk it it for a contest prize.
20/08/2016 18:10:18

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Depending on how many people submit videos, I might offer more prizes... probably a random prize to level the playing field, giving everyone an equal chance to win.
20/08/2016 19:02:05

tonyob67
tonyob67
PatMarrNC wrote:
tonyob67 wrote:

Can I submit 2 videos?

Thank you

if they both meet the requirement of being started and finished within the 30 day contest window, then yes, you can submit them both. I have no way of knowing when you started these, so I have to depend on the honor system. .. and I trust that nobody would value their personal integrity low enough that they'd risk it it for a contest prize.

I dont understand your answer, you ment that we sumit videos already made? nop, I can make a 3 minutes video in 3 days max. in fact, I upload a video on my youtube channel every week, and I have a full time job, I only work on my videos on my day off. so if I work hard and sleep little I can make 2 videos in one week easy. and I am not a cheater.

My question was if I can submit a video with a story that I did not invented, like a popular joke, I started this video the next day you started the competition.....
20/08/2016 21:25:24

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
My question was if I can submit a video with a story that I did not invented, like a popular joke, I started this video the next day you started the competition.....

believe it or not, I'm on another forum where people used to post jokes, and the moderator deleted the thread because virtually all jokes are some comedian's intellectual property, and they got a cease and desist letter from an attorney.

So, in answer to your question, I'd rather have all of the contest submissions be completely original. But anybody can submit more than one original video... in fact, I think that should be wide open too. No limit, as long as the videos are original and created during the contest period.
edited by PatMarrNC on 20/08/2016
23/08/2016 00:16:05

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
EVERYBODY who submits an entry to my contest will win SOMETHING. I'm working on some new characters that might make a worthwhile prize.

Also another forum member has volunteered to donate a set... I'll say more about that when they get back to me with an affirmation that the set will be available.

In an effort to get more people studying Ikes' innovative method of creating characters (like the chicken, Birdies and T-Rex) I might even buy some copies and use them as prizes. We'll see how much money I have left over at the end of the bills.

So far no volunteers for helping to judge.. but I'd much prefer that everybody submits a video.. I don't mind doing all the judging myself.
23/08/2016 00:42:02

tonyob67
tonyob67
PatMarrNC wrote:
EVERYBODY who submits an entry to my contest will win SOMETHING. I'm working on some new characters that might make a worthwhile prize.

Also another forum member has volunteered to donate a set... I'll say more about that when they get back to me with an affirmation that the set will be available.

In an effort to get more people studying Ikes' innovative method of creating characters (like the chicken, Birdies and T-Rex) I might even buy some copies and use them as prizes. We'll see how much money I have left over at the end of the bills.

So far no volunteers for helping to judge.. but I'd much prefer that everybody submits a video.. I don't mind doing all the judging myself.

OMG....I am getting really really nervousShock
23/08/2016 15:24:46

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I am happy to report that MrDrWho13 and UKBerty have both volunteered to help judge this contest! That should make the final verdict less biased and/or based on the subjective preferences of a single person.

Clayster has donated one of his sets as a prize, and I will post pictures later today.... so stay tuned, and get those entries rolling!

Also, if nobody enters a video created with the free version, the money I would have used to buy the full license will be redirected into a suitable prize for somebody using the paid version

--------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 23/08/2016
edited by PatMarrNC on 23/08/2016
23/08/2016 19:09:15

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Here is a short video showing the set that Clayster generously donated to be used as a prize for this contest. At this time I'm not yet sure which winner will get it, but it will be among the prizes which include $50 USD deposited to your paypal account (first prize for the winning entry among the Muvizu Ply Plus entries... and the paid license for whoever wins the free version category

23/08/2016 19:34:50

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
PatMarrNC wrote:
Here is a short video showing the set that Clayster generously donated to be used as a prize for this contest. At this time I'm not yet sure which winner will get it, but it will be among the prizes which include $50 USD deposited to your paypal account (first prize for the winning entry among the Muvizu Ply Plus entries... and the paid license for whoever wins the free version category

Good video Pat, OK for who ever wins this prize, I left the house empty so it can be decorated the way you want it, all you have to do is lift roof and place your objects, the house is made up of different objects and held together using key frame, you can change the color of the house, and animate the doors, The windows are supposed to be transparent clear, but for some reason it fills up with color, just go in its properties and uncheck visible, for an extra bonus I added a swimming pool, a BBQ pit, and that little red car I used in my last video, so good luck to everyone, and I hope who ever wins will enjoy this set!
edited by clayster2012 on 23/08/2016
edited by clayster2012 on 23/08/2016
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Pat Marr's Contest: Entries due by Sept 15