Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? [HAND Attach SPECIFIC PB] SU 2017 to Muvizu

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
16/02/2017 12:13:19

Anticip
Anticip
Hi guys,

Quick questions for you experts. Since SU8 is becoming quite clearly obsolete as the warehouse no longer offers SU8 models I'm moving to SU 2017. But god is it a very painful transition...

First things off :

1- My old ASE exporter with Ziggymesh which did wonders no longer works (extremely sad but we'll have to do without, if anyone managed to have it work in SU2017 I'm so looking for that).
2- The other muvizu ASE exporter works, not as well as UKBerty's one but it seems to work. Main issue is : it does not take size into consideration. I can export the same item as a very big one in SU or a very small one in SU, in Muvizu it always has the same size (at least for hand attachments).
Back then when Ziggymesh exporter ruled the world, I could resize the item in SU so it had the right size in Muvizu. Now I just can't find a way to do that, if any one has an idea I'm so looking for it. My female character has a purse the size of a god damn house............ I can then scale it down to the size of a car (Amazing, right?).

Any ideas that help me understand how this thing works would be greatly appreciated

3- If we can import FBX or OBJ items in Muvizu (when it works, which let's be honest relies heavily on luck on my end) it seems that for hand attachments only the good old ASE is recognized. Am I missing something ?

4- Maybe the trick relies in a new exporter in the SketchUp extension warehouse but I didn't find anything yet that seemed to do the job, again all ideas are appreciated !

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best,
16/02/2017 13:28:36

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
The simplest workaround (if you haven't removed Sketchup 8 from your computer) might be to ...

1) Download items from the 3d warehouse using the current version of Sketchup

2) then save it in Sketchup 8 format (Sketchup 2016 still has this save-as option and I bet even Sk2017 does too... if it doesn't, we can probably find you a copy of 2016)

3) open the converted version in Sketchup 8 and use the tools you already know

3- If we can import FBX or OBJ items in Muvizu (when it works, which let's be honest relies heavily on luck on my end) it seems that for hand attachments only the good old ASE is recognized. Am I missing something ?

ASE and FBX can both be used to create attachments. At present, OBJ only works for standalone objects

regarding the ways size changes made in Sketchup don't translate to Muvizu... I've noticed that too. I make my size changes in Silo, and only use Sketchup as ASE translator. But it's possible that someone here knows a trick about how to size in Sketchup so that it "sticks" in Muvizu.
edited by PatMarrNC on 16/02/2017
16/02/2017 13:31:06

Anticip
Anticip
Wow thanks Pat this already seem like a great starting point.

I still have SU8 though for some unexplainable reason the Ziggymesh exporter stopped working on my SU8, I need to work on this

EDIT : WEIRDEST bug of them all for public record. I've discovered that when I use Ziggymesh export with SU8 to export in "My Documents" folder it works, but if I ask him to export straight to a sub directory of my documents (say "My Documents / ASE Models") it doesn't work at all (nothing happens). Crazy right ?

EDIT 2: FIXED IT thanks Pat your workaround works like a charm for now ! Though i'm still interested to know about this hand size thing as we don't know if this workaround will work with futur patches
edited by Anticip on 16/02/2017
16/02/2017 13:50:09

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I know the install location for plugins is different for the versions... maybe the new installation changed an environment variable for all Sketchup installations, and it's now looking in a different place for plugins.

If you can put your hands on a copy of the ziggymesh exporter, try putting it in the same directory as the new plugin (but with a different name so you don't overwrite anything)

link to all the directory paths:
https://www.muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/170/installing-plugins-to-newer-versions-of-sketchup
16/02/2017 14:00:49

Anticip
Anticip
It was a destination folder issue somehow ! But I get how it works, I can't fix it but I can work with it
16/02/2017 14:36:42

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Anticip wrote:
It was a destination folder issue somehow ! But I get how it works, I can't fix it but I can work with it

please keep us posted!
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Importing Assets ? [HAND Attach SPECIFIC PB] SU 2017 to Muvizu