Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Creating a story for new animated series...

the topic is closed
18/01/2011 21:31:45

MerdeK
MerdeK
I have a problem... I found out, how to use Muvizu, but... I just can`t get an idea what should I do with the powers I`ve got...
Any Ideas? Maybe some tricks in story creation, or maybe some community? Really need some help in this...
19/01/2011 10:16:40

barrys
barrys
Hi MerdeK

Well, you've asked the very question that has tormented every single creative person that's ever lived: How do you get a fresh idea?

I'm afraid there's no magic button with this one. You have to wait for inspiration to hit you or actively seek it out. I reckon the former hasn't happened so you'll have to chase inspiration. Look at other people's work, do silly things, study unrelated fields, listen to odd music, watch TV, observe people on the train, go somewhere you're not comfortable, go somewhere you love, eat rancid food, dump a partner, find a new partner, get sunburnt, streak or design a jet-pack.

In short, try to put yourself in situations where you're emotionally inexperienced.

And when you get your idea write a story as if it was designed for radio. If it works on radio then it'll work in Muvizu.

That's all the advice you get for free

Barry
19/01/2011 10:37:01

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Think of a funny story or situation you may have heard or been part of and try to recreate it in Muvizu form, or you could create your version of a popular story with a different outcome than the original.

Ideas are like buses
You wait on one for ages then they all come along at once
But when you do get on your idea make sure you remember to get off at the right stop.

cheers
D
19/01/2011 11:51:04

Emily
Emily
(Account inactive)
barrys wrote:
eat rancid food, dump a partner, find a new partner, get sunburnt, streak or design a jet-pack.

Sounds like someone had a good weekend then!
edited by Emily on 19/01/2011
19/01/2011 13:22:23

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
I usually make a few characters and some basic sets then stare at them for a few hours till I get an Idea.
dont always work though Big Grin

Maybe try something simple to start of with. Think of a joke you like and try and animate it with muvizu.
19/01/2011 13:41:10

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
im pretty dire at the ideas myself......

I go down a similar route to jonbez.....just start making stuff and sometimes an idea comes just through the process of making a char or a set....

prob not the best way to do it but its a start
19/01/2011 14:17:06

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
a good way to dip your toe in the water is making a tribute video to a famous scene from a film, an ad, a song whatever that gets your creative juices flowing. it's a good way to get a handle on using Muvizu and will inspire you to make your own original clips.
19/01/2011 19:30:54

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I too have pretty much the same process as jonbez and freakmoomin. I'll create a basic set and a few characters and stare and mess around with them for a few hours until an idea pops up. Like jonbez mentioned, this doesn't always work.

My inspiration the "fart" animations came from a fellow I used to work with. This guy took great pride in being able to "pass gas" when ever and where ever he wanted to. He didn't care where he was or who was around either, he'd just "let er rip". He would always do a fist pump and say yessssssss! after he was finished too. He was basically a "walking cartoon character" and very proud of his "talent". It isn't difficult to come up with funny ideas for animations with this guy.

For me, doing the actual animation is a LOT easier then coming up with a good idea to animate.
20/01/2011 08:22:28

MerdeK
MerdeK
Thank you all for your advises. They are really helpful.

That is true, that creating the idea and story is rather difficult, that animate it...

I`ve got few ideas for upcoming cartoon series. I`m just afraid that no one would think they are funny and stuff. And I still can`t name my characters and the series as well.
@mysto Your "Late to work" is really funny indeed =)
edited by MerdeK on 20/01/2011
20/01/2011 09:55:54

Dreeko
Don't worry about not being funny
It hasn't stopped the rest of us!
20/01/2011 13:24:37

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I agree with Dreeko, don't worry about being funny or what others think. Just have fun animating. I look forward to seeing your creations.
21/01/2011 00:15:18

inlimbo
inlimbo
I would recommend keeping a small journal and when ideas come to you during your day jot them down. This way you don't have to depend on Muvizu sets and characters to inspire you, although that can certainly work as well.

Also you might study animated stories or films in general.

Most stories have a person with a goal, and then obstacles they have to overcome to achieve that goal. Hope this helps.
21/01/2011 00:39:34

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
Hi MerdeK, Welcome to Muvizu, the place to let your imagination go wild!!

The thing to remember with Muvizu is that it's fast..... and with that, as soon as you get a silly idea in you're head, be it someone you know who you think is funny looking or strange, or something that you you're self thinks is funny and would like to re-create as a little movie.

Yeah, don't worry about the fear of thinking you're stuff might not be funny, because that's what it's all about, it's about your stuff, and only you're creations. so be proud of it and just try to get better.

Muvizu is speed animating, so go on, get stuck in and have funFroot
23/01/2011 10:44:30

wertstrong
wertstrong
Make a video according to your mood so there is no point making a funny video if you feel sad and another way is to skim through the sets in muvizu making it easier to develop a theme. You could also just look through all you musics and choose one that could easily be turned into a video.
23/01/2011 11:46:51

Hoots_Mon
Hoots_Mon
barrys wrote:
Hi MerdeK

Well, you've asked the very question that has tormented every single creative person that's ever lived: How do you get a fresh idea?

I'm afraid there's no magic button with this one.
Barry

No magic button, Barry, but here is the next best thing.
Every story device and convention (known in the tv and film industry as 'writer's tropes') you've ever seen on TV or a cinema screen is here.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComedyTropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HorrorTropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionAdventureTropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrimeAndPunishmentTropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WarTropes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveTropes
What is a trope?
"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite.... Tropes transcend television. They reflect life."
23/01/2011 12:38:12

Dreeko
Great links!

Cheers!

D
23/01/2011 15:08:23

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Excellent link Hoots Mon - thanks!
23/01/2011 15:23:46

Hoots_Mon
Hoots_Mon
Yep, it's a great site for anyone looking for animation script ideas.
the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Creating a story for new animated series...