Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Ready Break glow with Anti-Aliasing

the topic is closed
01/10/2012 18:51:49

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Marco – as discussed earlier today, I have a new issue with anti-aliasing. I’ve noticed it in 20b and 22b and it happens on my desktop and laptop.

The problem is that if you are using shadows in a fairly dark set the characters can have a “ready break glow” around them.

Have a look at this set – http://www.rodneyandberty.co.uk/downloads/antialias.zip

Make sure that anti-alias is on – the version of DX doesn’t matter.

When you click “Make Video” the previously clean edge between Eddie’s arm and his shadow changes on both the make video window and the original cameras window. If you actually make a video then the white glow is rendered.

With Anti-Aliasing turned off...

With Anti-aliasing turned on..

This can make your rendered video look pretty poor.

I've had a play with the AA settings on the video card itself, but can't get anything to change. As it happens the same on my laptop and desktop I guess it's not machine specific anyway.

Could you have a look please ??

Berty
01/10/2012 19:20:57

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
uh I have those white edges too lol I guess its all related (I hope) and not hard to fix nevertheless i am making my video and trying to ignore those problems and hope not many people notice

so I will add my two cents into this pile as well you can see that issue before you hit that render screen my little avatars look like they are cut outs with the line around the outside and it can be limited by the lighting you use

here is me making it deliberately bad but when i first saw it I thought i had toon turned on and it does carry over into the video if you have the lighting effects to cause it unfortunately i am big on shadows and ambient lighting.

edited by urbanlamb on 01/10/2012
02/10/2012 13:10:47

Marco_D
Marco_D
Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are currently looking at some AA issues and we definitely going to investigate this.

Cheers,
Marco
02/10/2012 13:43:30

Marco_D
Marco_D
Just a quick question,

You are both using Nvidia cards, correct?

Cheers,
Marco
02/10/2012 17:27:18

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
yes i posted my info in the other thread it was nvidia GTX 560ti that i am using
edited by urbanlamb on 02/10/2012
02/10/2012 19:26:11

ukBerty
Yep - GeForce GTX 460 on desktop and GT540M on laptop
03/10/2012 11:31:08

Marco_D
Marco_D
Thanks for your replies guys

Cheers,
Marco
22/11/2012 11:57:36

CrazyDaveMuvizu staff
CrazyDave
Berty, thanks for pointing this out.

I've had a look and can see it happening on my machine (also a GeForce GTX 460).

You're using hardware anti-aliasing, performed on the graphics card. This isn't really our code and the problem would be very hard to track down. The problem could potentially be with the nVidia drivers. I don't think this would ever be noticed while playing a computer game, but for creative output people are more discerning about wrongly coloured pixels...

To that end, in the next release (0.24b), if you launch Muvizu with the command line parameter "-forceSWAA" then it will use software anti-aliasing performed on the CPU instead. This will slow down your video rendering times (so I do not want to change it by default) but it will avoid these artifacts.

Also, if you are desperate to produce a particular video without this issue using the current version of Muvizu (0.23b)... and if you have access to a PC with either Windows XP or an older DirectX 9 graphics card installed... then your video will be rendered using software anti-aliasing without these wrong pixels.

Hope this helps,

Dave
22/11/2012 18:03:45

ukBerty
Dave, thanks - that workaround sounds perfect. I can always test render with HW AA and only switch to SW when producing the final AVI. Is there any way of getting this in the product somewhere so I don't have to exit ?
22/11/2012 18:09:17

CrazyDaveMuvizu staff
CrazyDave
Not really, adding a menu option would run the risk of cluttering up the interface with indecipherable technical options.

I'll look into other options in the mean time though.

Cheers, Dave
22/11/2012 18:46:58

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I haven't tried my card yet to see if this artifact still exists (sorry my photos are gone I cleaned out my photobucket account forgetting that I had things posted here from there ...) anyhow when I get to making a scene that requires this type of lighting again I will test it out so far i have not noticed anything but I have not been doing any actual animation yet with the new version just set building it was very bad on the geoforce 560ti every item in it had a huge white line around it to the point I was double checking if i had turned on cartoon or something.

Thanks for the command option I dont have to work around that bug then
23/11/2012 12:11:28

CrazyDaveMuvizu staff
CrazyDave
ukBerty wrote:
Dave, thanks - that workaround sounds perfect. I can always test render with HW AA and only switch to SW when producing the final AVI. Is there any way of getting this in the product somewhere so I don't have to exit ?

You could always turn AA off for your test renders and turn it back on (with forceSWAA activated) for your final AVI!

I'm still going to give this some thought though as I would like to find the best way to balance rendering times with AA accuracy.

D
04/01/2013 03:55:39

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)

just thought I would add this it gets worse in some areas the desk is so bad I had to try other light settings I dont know how to fix this I tried the commands provided and its still happening
04/01/2013 06:55:18

ukBerty
Urbanlamb - The fix has not been released yet I'm afraid - hopefully in the next release... Dave ???
the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Ready Break glow with Anti-Aliasing