Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Uploaded sets and 3d assets

pages: 1 2 3 4 | the topic is closed
15/04/2011 10:55:50

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Morning folks,

I checked before uploading my stuff, Google's T&C's are as follows:

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/3dwh/tos.html

11.(c) By publicly posting or displaying the content you give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute (subject to the restrictions set forth in Sections 11.4 and 20.3 of these Terms) any Content or derivative works thereof which you publicly post or display on or through the Services.

11.4 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, without Google’s prior authorization, you may not: (i) aggregate Content obtained from Google Services for redistribution, or (ii) use or distribute Content obtained from Google Services in a mapping or geographic application or service.

20.3 Models created in Building Maker include proprietary imagery. You may not disassociate or separate the imagery from any Building Maker model and use or make it available outside of Google Services.

This means that we have the right to download Google warehouse models, modify them and redistribute them as long as it isn't purely for creating a model database - so uploading models that we have used in videos should be fine.

Take it easy,
-Jim
15/04/2011 11:03:09

Quoling
Quoling
glasgowjim wrote:
This means that we have the right to download Google warehouse models, modify them and redistribute them as long as it isn't purely for creating a model database - so uploading models that we have used in videos should be fine.

Take it easy,
-Jim

Kneel!
What ho Jim! - I was bored so did a bit of a Google (no pun intended) and found the same thing - so I concour - the entire point of the warehouse is to allow use of your models...so let's get this upload party started! Cool
15/04/2011 13:04:15

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
glasgowjim wrote:

Take it easy,
-Jim

Good man him
May the upload frenzy begin!!
Cheers
D
15/04/2011 14:57:11

pyrrho
pyrrho
glasgowjim wrote:
Morning folks,

I checked before uploading my stuff, Google's T&C's are as follows:

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/3dwh/tos.html

11.(c) By publicly posting or displaying the content you give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute (subject to the restrictions set forth in Sections 11.4 and 20.3 of these Terms) any Content or derivative works thereof which you publicly post or display on or through the Services.

11.4 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, without Google’s prior authorization, you may not: (i) aggregate Content obtained from Google Services for redistribution, or (ii) use or distribute Content obtained from Google Services in a mapping or geographic application or service.

Take it easy,
-Jim

Jim, the section in bold (my bold) is the relevant one here. We may not aggregate Warehouse models for redistribution - and making them available in bulk on our site would be doing just that. Yes, the odd item modified and used in a video, fine, but certainly not a frenzy (Mr D).

On a point of principle, though - and who has really read Google's Ts and Cs (or any, for that matter) - a user may upload to Google Warehouse because that is where they want their work to be displayed, they may not wish to have their creations displayed on a site that, unbeknown to us, they are uncomfortable with for whatever reason. We should ask permission, just on the principle of courtesy - also, it's nice to be asked, and always welcome to receive positive comments about your work.

Original work is just that, original work - and as far as possible we should avoid scouring Ts and Cs, which are there to protect the interests of large corporations more than those of the artists', and be rather more considerate to the little man's efforts than rapacious.

Spread a little love, Jim :-)

vince
15/04/2011 17:17:14

jahnocli
jahnocli
vince wrote:

It's all about interpretation. You could interpret this section of the Terms & Conditions as Google protecting itself against a rival setting up a similar service to Google Warehouse after ripping off some or all of its content. Obviously Google would want to protect itself against that.

But re-using this content in (overwhelmingly) hobbyist animations? This is absolutely no threat to Google's business model! But maybe a communication from Muvizu to Google seeking clarification would be a good move.
15/04/2011 17:37:09

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
I suppose you could also interpret it as saying that you can't steal rubies from the Moon King's crystal foot locker, but it rather plainly states no one, not only rivals.

I guess the most puzzling part about this is that we're talking about models that are available for free by using software that is available for free. Why upload them here at all? If you find something nice, post a link to it and let others download it. Google wins, we win, and most importantly, this silly debate ends.
15/04/2011 18:52:28

jahnocli
jahnocli
Pardon me for not being facetious...
15/04/2011 19:14:28

Dreeko
All this talk and still no new uploads
Boo hiss!!!
Maybe we"ll just have to be original!
edited by Dreeko on 15/04/2011
edited by Dreeko on 15/04/2011
18/04/2011 19:31:06

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
Dreeko wrote:
All this talk and still no new uploads
Boo hiss!!!
Maybe we"ll just have to be original!

I will upload some bits and bobs soon m8.
18/04/2011 19:58:57

Dreeko
jonbez wrote:

I will upload some bits and bobs soon m8.

Thumbs Up
18/04/2011 22:56:45

kanana
kanana
already have these packages? or not? How does a camera to addmore?
19/04/2011 00:10:10

Danimal
All right, since I'm sure this is what you had in mind, Dreeko, I've uploaded the beer can from my last video. Have fun with it!
19/04/2011 09:54:24

pyrrho
pyrrho
Danimal wrote:
All right, since I'm sure this is what you had in mind, Dreeko, I've uploaded the beer can from my last video. Have fun with it!

Sorry about this, but we can't carry trademarked logos/packaging/etc on the site without permission from the brand owner - which isn't likely to be forthcoming unless they want to sponsor a competition or something for a UGC ad, which would be nice.

We'd be OK if the name were changed to something similar and the artwork in the same style but not the exact design.

It's a bummer, but the big guys are protective of their "brand image". The worst offenders are the likes of Nike who've trademarked the "swoop". It won't be long before someone trademarks a circle.

vince
19/04/2011 10:02:45

Dreeko
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here

...or beer

On the subject of copyright do you think this guy has got away with it?..

19/04/2011 10:40:02

pyrrho
pyrrho
Dreeko wrote:
Looks like I've opened a can of worms here

...or beer

On the subject of copyright do you think this guy has got away with it?..

Apart from the logo, yes.
19/04/2011 11:38:43

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
Logo looks the same but he reversed the color order or mirrored the logo. I remember along time back their uses to be a short lived line of trainers with an upside down nike logo on them LOL. But it was that long ago I can't remember if they was sold in shops or was market knock offs.
19/04/2011 13:01:00

Danimal
pyrrho wrote:
the big guys are protective of their "brand image".

I think Pabst would be flattered to be called "big guys."

It's not a big deal and I understand. I can always make a new texture map. I'll use my favorite image editor: Michaelsoft Taint. Comes free with Binbows!
19/04/2011 15:20:08

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
Danimal wrote:

I think Pabst would be flattered to be called "big guys."

You got that right Danimal!
19/04/2011 20:21:00

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Danimal wrote:

It's not a big deal and I understand. I can always make a new texture map. I'll use my favorite image editor: Michaelsoft Taint. Comes free with Binbows!

I couldn't get my copy of Taint to work with Michaelsoft Kista. I searched for it on Guggle but it didn't help.
19/04/2011 22:12:38

Danimal
ziggy72 wrote:
I couldn't get my copy of Taint to work with Michaelsoft Kista. I searched for it on Guggle but it didn't help.

laugh
pages: 1 2 3 4 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Uploaded sets and 3d assets