Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Characters ? Here's a new one

the topic is closed
06/06/2011 12:43:25

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
OK, so I opened up some of my old sets and made all my old characters Favorites again. A couple of them use decals which, as far as I can tell, are saved with the set file and not the character itself.

So now when I try to import one of those Favorites, Muvizu pops up an error window telling me a resource is unavailable. I'm pretty sure it's talking about the decals because all the other Favorites without import just fine. In the old version it would import the character without the decal and I would just re-add it.

Where does the program look for these resources? If there's a specific spot I'll just move the graphics there. If not I'll just save them as favorites without the decals. Either way, I'll admit that I do have the silliest bug posts of all. The important, major features are all working beautifully.
06/06/2011 12:52:54

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Danimal
I think you are correct in the theory. I was having the same problem with a favourite character and that too had a decal so i guess it must be that that it can't find. Must admit i gave up and recreated him

thanks

toonarama
06/06/2011 13:12:35

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Danimal,

That's odd - the resources should all be saved in the .set file (unless I am mistaken) although it is possible that the decals saved on characters aren't being saved with the rest of the .set......

Could you please try sending the set to bugs@muvizu.com as they might be able to see what the exact problem is.

Cheers,
-Jim
06/06/2011 13:15:02

Danimal
Thanks for the replies!

If I pull up the set files, the decals are indeed in place. It's when i try to import from the Favorites list in a different set. I don't think I was clear on that in my original post. I can send the email, I just hope they don't ask for my error logs, since I have none (crafty Vista!).
edited by Danimal on 06/06/2011
06/06/2011 13:36:08

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
Hi Danimal,

As Jim said, the .set files are saved with the imported resources (e.g. textures) embedded, which is why they work. However, as you've discovered, favourites don't embed their imported resources which is why they're not working.

I've just spoken to the chap responsible for the loading / saving of sets and favourites and he tells me you shouldn't have been able to save it as a favourite in the first place, but there was a bug that wasn't disabling the save button. This is already fixed for the next release, so you wan't be able to create broken favourites, but sadly that's not helping you with your current predicament.

It seems you're going to have to recreate those favourites and for that I can only apologise. We're looking into ways of saving favourites as mini set files so that they can contain imported resources, but I'm afraid I don't have a timescale for this.

In the meantime, can you send us your error log files? Just kidding.
06/06/2011 15:43:23

Danimal
Neil wrote:
In the meantime, can you send us your error log files? Just kidding.

Hahaha, you had me going for a second there...

It's not at all a big deal, I can just pull up the old set file, remove the decals, then resave the characters to the Favorites. I just thought maybe there was a default folder Muvizu looked for attached textures and I should put them there.

As always, I appreciate all the help. I love this software and this community! Toast
28/07/2011 06:31:37

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Neil wrote:
...... but there was a bug that wasn't disabling the save button. This is already fixed for the next release.......

Just to let you know that you can still save a character with decals and then can't import it.

Removing decals before you save is still the work around in v0.16b
28/07/2011 11:58:18

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
Neil wrote:
...... but there was a bug that wasn't disabling the save button. This is already fixed for the next release.......

Just to let you know that you can still save a character with decals and then can't import it.

Removing decals before you save is still the work around in v0.16b

Sorry about that. The fix is definitely still coming, unfortunately it slipped through the net this time as the last release was a kinda intermediate bug fixing type release that errr... didn't fix this particular bug. :-/

I'll have someone flogged.
28/07/2011 17:00:17

ukBerty
Also Neil - if you create a character with Decals and save the set you can open the set again and the decals will be there.

If you exit Muvizu, then try and open the same set it comes up with the error and does not load the character - this is potentially a real issue as I will have to remember to remove all decals before saving, otherwise I will lose my characters, all actions and movements - AHHHHH !!

Will this also be addressed in the next release ?
28/07/2011 17:03:31

Danimal
This has not been my experience. I've opened sets with decals on the characters many times after exiting and reopening. Is this something unique to the 64-bit version?
28/07/2011 17:44:51

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
Will this also be addressed in the next release ?

Ummmm... I'll get someone on it, as soon as I've finished flogging them.
28/07/2011 19:06:34

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Just to add to the problem..
I can't save characters as favourites once they gave bee retextured.
29/07/2011 07:29:27

ukBerty
Neil / Danimal,

I've just done some tests and it's actually the textured skirt that breaks things
  • Create a new set
  • Add the girl character
  • Give the character a skirt
  • Import any .png as the skirt
  • save the set
  • open the set - this will work
  • Exit Muvizu
  • Go back into Muvizu and load the set
  • Kaboom !! - no girl

As I say - this will be majorly annoying to not be able to save any movements or actions by my skirted characters.
29/07/2011 11:57:17

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
I've just done some tests and it's actually the textured skirt that breaks things

Thanks for that, Berty. I've passed it on but the man responsible isn't in the office today. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to you on Monday.
the topic is closed

Home ? Characters ? Here's a new one