Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Crimes of Passion -- the 2012 Passion Competition

the topic is closed
15/08/2012 18:33:39

Harb40
Harb40
Crimes of Passion

2012 Passion Competition Rules and Guidelines

A Crime of Passion, or crime passionnel, in popular usage, refers to a crime in which the perpetrator commits a crime, especially assault, murder or rape, against someone because of a sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage or heartbreak rather than as a premeditated crime.

A typical crime of passion might involve an aggressive bar patron who assaults another patron following an argument or a husband who discovers his wife has made him a cuckold and proceeds to brutally batter or even kill his wife and the man she was involved with. Maybe the scorned wife finds the husband cheating. A diner goes into a rage over someone else's cell phone use. The soldier who loses it on the battlefield after seeing a fellow soldier killed (revenge or retaliation). The possibilities are endless.

The task at hand will be to make a film showcasing your interpretation of a Crime of Passion.

Rules and Guidelines

Dates: September 1, 2012 to November 3, 2012 (12 midnight EST)

Film Length: The film can be any length. It is preferred if the total length is not over 30 minutes but longer films will be accepted. All judges are required to view the whole film so the longer the films, the longer it will take to judge.

Film Age: This can be a new film or one you have made previously.

Engine: This film can be made using any program you desire (iClone,Moviestorm, The Movies, Poser, Daz, The Sims, game engines such as Halo, GTA, COD, WOW and more) or live action. Any form you desire.

Required Theme Element: Must involve a crime of passion. Any films not done in English must have English subtitles so the judging panel can fully understand thedialog.

Where to upload: Can be uploaded to any site (YouTube, Vimeo, TMU, etc.) but a link must be given in the submission form. (example below) Keep in mind that if the site you upload to requires registration or membership, the videos might not be viewable by the general population. It is preferred that sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion and others be used.

Warnings: Since this competition is open to all ages, if any strong language or nudity is used, a disclaimer must be presented either at the start of the film or on the film page.

Credits: Any use of voice actors, music not supplied with the program of choice or composed by yourself, any mods not made by yourself or an official add-on is recommended to be credited either in the film or on the film page but is not required.

Persons not eligible: Due to the nature of the prizes, the 2011 winners, Josephkw, KV and Kibishipaul are ineligible for entry this this. All winners are ineligible for the next year's competition but will be eligible the following year.

Judges:

Henrick Safegaard (Safegaard Cloneartist)
Joseph Kwong (Josephkw)
Simon Stanisauskis (KV Pictures)
Craig Harbison (Harb40)

Sample Submission Form:

Copy and paste the following and edit to fit your entry:

OnlineName: (Your user name --Required)
StudioName: (if different than your user name - not required)
RealName: (voluntary- not required)
FilmTitle: (The name of your film -- Required)
FilmLength: (Minutes and seconds in length -- Required)
Genre: (comedy, drama, horror, etc. - not required)
FilmLocation: (a direct link to your film -- Required)
FilmDescription: (a brief idea of what your film is about -- Required)
AdditionalInfo: (Cast, credits, posters, etc. if you desire)

Using this format will make it easier on the judges to find and keep track of your film. All entries must be made through the Harb40 Passion Competition forums thread.

So, start filming, enter and Good Luck.

Any conversations you wish to have in private about your submission need to be sent here. Check the competition faqs section of the forums first. Your questions might be answered there already.
23/08/2012 13:32:29

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Interesting topic for a competition. I'm surprised, when posting on the Muvizu website, you didn't list Muvizu as one of the engines. Clearly that is allowed under "any program you desire", I'm just being a smart ass

Hopefully we'll see some Muvizu entries though!

Am I correct in understanding that November 3rd 2012 is the final submission date?

--
Direct, don't animate!
23/08/2012 17:31:58

Harb40
Harb40
I apologize if I didn't mention Muvizu directly. I believe I did last year. If you notice in this thread (which you also responded to), I did mention Muvizu as an engine that is acceptable.

As for your question, yes, November 3rd, midnight Eastern Standard Time, is the official cutoff for submisssions. In the past, we have been a bit flexible on that though. Last year we allowed entries up to the point that a notice of 'Stop' was posted closing the entry submission period.
edited by Harb40 on 23/08/2012
23/08/2012 20:51:50

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I am busy wracking my brain for a story line ... maybe it will come to me in time to take part in this competition as of yet I can't come up with something that pleases me lol
27/08/2012 19:22:53

Harb40
Harb40
Ladies and Gentlemen, with the help of 2 very talented people, Josephkw and A_N_D, I give you the official 2012 Passion Competition Promo video.

You can see it here

or

So, put on your thinking caps, put pen or pencil to paper, fire up your engine of choice and get creative.
edited by Harb40 on 27/08/2012
29/09/2012 19:00:03

Harb40
Harb40
It is now the half way point of the competition. 4 weeks left to enter. The deadline is November 3rd.
22/10/2012 23:51:36

Harb40
Harb40
After careful consideration, the entry deadline for the 2012 Passion Competition has been extended until Midnight EST, 18 November, 2012.
01/11/2012 16:25:32

Harb40
Harb40
Just a reminder, the deadline for submitting your film has been extended until the 18th of November. YES, that means an extra 2 weeks. We hope to see many more films submitted.
12/11/2012 18:56:17

Harb40
Harb40
Less than 1 week left to enter. Remember, the deadline is November 18, 2012, Midnight EST.

Time is growing short.
13/11/2012 18:36:48

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I entered a quicky movie my problem with a lot of the contests is I dont actually want to win (wierd I know) but most of the software offered I already own and feel like if I do by some offchance win I am taking it away from someone who could actually use it. Anyhow entries are low and I am worried that it would affect prizes for next year if the contest is not popular enough so if you have a muvizu movie that fits the theme please enter

p.s. anyone needing better video editing software should give this contest a whirl hitfilm is a cross between something like sony vegas and adobe after affects and that alone should motivate people because if you want to make better muvizu movies the key to doing this is to have a nice video editing program so you can learn techniques like green screen and add a little bit of pizzaz to your movie to make it all the more awesome!
edited by urbanlamb on 13/11/2012
13/11/2012 18:57:16

Harb40
Harb40
urbanlamb wrote:
I entered a quicky movie my problem with a lot of the contests is I dont actually want to win (wierd I know) but most of the software offered I already own and feel like if I do by some offchance win I am taking it away from someone who could actually use it.

The prizes are transferrable as long as you don't install and register them first. Several previous winners have given some fo their prizes to others they know who don't have the software yet. Maybe they can be Christmas presents for a friend or family member. Or a birthday gift.
13/11/2012 20:00:39

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
Harb40 wrote:
urbanlamb wrote:
I entered a quicky movie my problem with a lot of the contests is I dont actually want to win (wierd I know) but most of the software offered I already own and feel like if I do by some offchance win I am taking it away from someone who could actually use it.

The prizes are transferrable as long as you don't install and register them first. Several previous winners have given some fo their prizes to others they know who don't have the software yet. Maybe they can be Christmas presents for a friend or family member. Or a birthday gift.

okay thanks Craig sometimes this stuff does not transfer

There is lots of video editing packages in that list and the music making/editing stuff which is of interest to anyone who makes video/movies etc.
18/11/2012 01:37:36

Harb40
Harb40
Just over 24 hours and the Passion Competition will be closed for 2012.
19/11/2012 08:04:44

Harb40
Harb40
Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come to closed the submission thread for the 2012 Passion Competition.

The judges will now finish their viewing of the films and tabulate their scores. Results will be posted within a couple weeks.

Thank you all for considering the competition and good luck to all the entrants.
the topic is closed

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Crimes of Passion -- the 2012 Passion Competition