Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? What codec do you use and why?

What codec do you use?

XVID: 11
DIVX: 2
Uncompressed: 2
Panasonic DV: 0
Cinepack Codec by Radius: 1
Intel Indeo (R) video 4.5: 0
Intel IYUV Codec: 4
Microsoft Codec 1: 4
Indeo Codec 5.10: 1
Techsmith Screen Capture Codec: 0
DIVX 6.8.5 (4 Logical CPUs): 0
Helix YV12 YUV Codec: 0
VP70 General Profile: 0
Huffyuv v2.1.1 - CCESP patch v0.2.5: 1
ffdshow Video Codec: 4
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
03/09/2010 10:00:15

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
There are alot of different options available for codecs; from uncompressed to XVid. What one do you use, why and what results do you get from it?

Enter a poll and share your results here. I created the list just by going to "Make Video" in Muvizu and typing out what I have available on my computer, so if you use a different codec to whats listed here, just say and I'll update the poll with your codec choice.

--
Direct, don't animate!
03/09/2010 10:14:34

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
Xvid is great for a straight output from muvizu and its the one i would defo recommend.

but if your wanting to do post work on your movies then id prob steer clear, its not very edit friendly....im still yet to find the best codec for this
03/09/2010 10:31:23

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
What I find is that to do any post-processing effects with XVID videos outputted from Muvizu you need to first re-encode the video again. Just open it in something like Virtual Dub, select XVID as the codec and save it as a new file, it'll then work fine.

--
Direct, don't animate!
03/09/2010 11:04:27

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
I had a large uncompressed video avi, and I could not
For the love of money upload it, it was 1 1/2 mins long
At 386 megs. The super class team at muvizu told me to
Use the XVID codec, it shrank the file to 38 megs and I
produced the same video at full HD, it uploaded I about 15 mins
great stuff
03/09/2010 11:29:45

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
+1 for XVid - small file sizes, low detail loss - can be used easily in VirtualDub (if you re-encode like Jamie suggests).
07/09/2010 07:01:32

Than
Than
Yep, I'm boring too as I use XVID also, well for one it's open source.
15/09/2010 15:27:28

tripfreakExperimental user
tripfreak
I don't understand why, but I encounter difficulties when I directly use the XVID codec.

So, I either use the Lagarith Losless Video Codec: Link hereor the XVID codec from within the ffdshow codec package for the first step (1):

and/or the MPEG-4 codec for the final step (2).
Both set to "one-pass quality" and "Quality" to 100 (percent).
22/09/2010 11:47:45

hugmyster
hugmyster
I confess that I've fibbed. I'm not sure which codec to use so keep flipping between Microsoft codecs 1 and 3, but I really don't know which to go for. Main rules - I like them to be free and legal.
And good.

I'll give the XVid a pop later as I have a video to try and fancy a chuckle. There's also a lossless codec out there (yes, free and legal) but no idea what it's like.

Huggy
01/10/2010 13:24:29

Emily
Emily
(Account inactive)
I used to use XVID all the time, as it was fast and the quality seemed ok. However, when you tried to use it in any post processing software, the video quality just fell apart. There were lots of artifacts and it was pretty much impossible to use.

Barry suggested using ffdshow with the codec set to Lossless Jpeg. The colour space should be yv12.
This made a HUGE difference when I went on to edit it. I haven't had any issues in editing or rendering with this one. It does look like the colours are a little more muted but that might just be my eyes on a Friday afternoon...

You can download it from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

More info here:

http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic492-motion-jpeg-dont-overlook-it.aspx
01/10/2010 20:33:37

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Cinepak - although I seem to alone in using it! The files it creates are bleedin' huge, but high quality, and work natively in Adobe Premiere (which I use to edit everything - love that program).
11/10/2010 04:11:04

raptormarlins
raptormarlins
Xvid. Does the job right
11/10/2010 10:05:44

Matt
Matt
I use huffyuv, because it's lossless so there's no quality loss when I edit it up in my video editor. Plus, it's very quick to edit with, which is a massive plus.
04/11/2010 10:30:45

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Matt wrote:
I use huffyuv, because it's lossless so there's no quality loss when I edit it up in my video editor. Plus, it's very quick to edit with, which is a massive plus.

Hi Matt -

Your videos are certainly of amazing quality - huffyuv must be great. I've never tried to use it but I think I'll give it a go. Is that the same huffyuv I listed in the poll "Huffyuv v2.1.1 - CCESP patch v0.2.5:" hopefully it is and I don't need to go install another version

Jamie.

--
Direct, don't animate!
20/01/2011 22:33:57

bootztap
bootztap
im sorry, but i think cinapek is a good codec, nice quality for my old muvizu music videos (MMV)!!!

just beautiful quality
21/01/2011 10:00:31

alakyr
alakyr
i'm using DIVX 6.9.2 (2 Logical CPUs) but don't know the bifferences between the others...i'm not practice of video editing etc...
by the way i read that xvid is the best the i'm ging to try it
edited by alakyr on 21/01/2011
02/03/2011 22:11:57

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I would like to now change my vote to Microsoft Video 1. For some reason Cinepak no longer agrees with Muvizu, Premiere, or anything else important on my Xp machine and my Vista machine. It still just about works, but everything looks totally crap (banded, flickering, faded). No idea why - must be a codec update or something. Anyway, screw Cinepak! MS Video 1 Rules!
02/03/2011 22:43:43

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
MS video 1 is what I've been using for awhile now. I've had no problems at all with it.
03/03/2011 10:21:46

Emily
Emily
(Account inactive)
Ziggy,

I've had a few issues with Premiere too.

I've found this article incredibly useful, run through some of the relevant checks on there to see if there is anything that can help you out.

Cheers,

Emily.
edited by Emily on 23/06/2011
03/03/2011 10:30:31

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
I, personally, think that the best source for codecs is the K-Lite codec pack: it has pretty much every free codec that you can think of but it also includes some really handy tools for configuring and troubleshooting codecs.

If you are having codec trouble I would say that the best thing to do would be to uninstall your existing codec packs then installing the Full K-Lite pack (so you get all the tools and codecs)

You can get it from:

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

If you already have it installed and you are having trouble you can go to:

Start>K-Lite Codec Pack>Tools>Codec Tweak Tool

You can then use two options to fix codecs: "Detect Broken Codecs and filters - other fixes" and "Reset Settings".

You can then click next and select every option and the Tweak tool should sort any busted codecs.

If that doesn't work you can then go to:

Start>K-Lite Codec Pack>Configuration>ffdshow video decoder

The very first screen that comes up is a list of the codecs that you can use - if you find the one that you are having trouble with you can then click on the decoder and be able to select another one.

These steps should, hopefully, resolve any codec issues that you have.

Take it easy,
-Jim.
03/03/2011 11:02:50

Emily
Emily
(Account inactive)
Also - probably the best sequence preset to go for would be AVC-Intra 100 720p 50Hz which would match the high-res output from Muvizu:

Video Settings
Frame size: 1280h 720v (1.0000)
Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Best,

Emily.
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? What codec do you use and why?