Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Collision Questions

the topic is closed
30/11/2011 09:33:59

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
After making headway with constructing props, then texturing them, I've just collided with collision.

After following the tutorials I've managed to add collision to a couple of props I'm working on, but I think there is something I'm just not understanding.

I've managed to get a muvizu character to stand on the steps of my base model, which is rectangular...sort of. But when it comes to aligning the pieces of the model in Muvizu (like the house sections) the blocks that make up my model seems to hover a fraction above each other.

Could this be because the collision model is slightly larger than the model it is based upon? And is it the case that a collision model must be a much simplified version of the base model that fits exactly to the dimensions of the base model. If so, on a very simple model, can I just use the base model as the collision model.

I'm hoping I made sense there?
30/11/2011 11:37:03

Marco_D
Marco_D
Hey Dylly,

If you want to group two objects together, their collision volume must be a little bit smaller than the prop volume, otherwise you won't be able to put them together. The collision volume takes priority over the prop volume.

Have a look to the image. This object can be duplicated and placed closely to each other to simulate a long fence. Collision volume is pink.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/collisiono.jpg/

So, you need to think about the way you want to use the prop before setting up a collision volume.
Stand alone props you can make the collision volume a little big bigger than the object. If the object is going to be "touching" other objects than the collision volume needs to be a little bit smaller.

I hope I made sense

Cheers,
Marco
edited by Marco_D on 30/11/2011
30/11/2011 16:21:22

Dylly
Thanks Marco...You made perfect sense...a touch of recalculation on my model is needed I think. Thanks for the help!
30/11/2011 17:05:11

Marco_D
Marco_D
Glad I could help

Cheers,
Marco
30/11/2011 19:38:11

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Can I just stick my oar in here (mind out of the way...) and suggest, Dylly, that you make a very very small collision box in Sketchup, and use that to create a UCX .ASE file, then just copy and paste it onto the end of all your downloaded/created models (ASE files). This will allow you to intersect your models with Muvizu objects, like invisible ground planes/shapes, and fake the collision instead. Or just use Object Floats for static stuff. I find it saves time in the long run, and works for most situations. (actually, to be honest, I just could never be bothered faffing about with Sketchup making collision shapes )
30/11/2011 21:05:29

Dylly
Feel free to come for a paddle any time Ziggy! So would faking the collision allow a character to stand on the prop? What I'm trying to make is a building where the character needs to run up and down the steps. The prop is an observatory, basically a house with a tower on the roof on top of which sits a telescope and a dome that looks a bit like a dalek top. I wanted to be able to animate the telescope bit so it swivels round while the character runs into the building.
30/11/2011 22:04:19

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
As long as there's no collision with the Sketchup props, they can be 'defined' by floating ground planes with no textures, or abstract shapes with no texture. For steps, you could just make an invisible ramp out of the toblerone shape (can't remember what Muvizu calls it!) and line it up with your models. Having practically no collision box allows you to intersect the models too, which can hide a multitude of sins, as it were (Triangular Prism!!!)
16/12/2011 01:49:40

Dylly
I'm starting to tear out what little hair I've got left...Collided with collision again I have! I was getting on well with collision but since I've started making the smaller props for my new clip I'm starting to get an error message saying that there is no room to load a prop that I have added collision to.

Here's what I'm working on at the moment, all I've got left to do is add the collision but I'm not doing something right. So far the closest I can get is to use Ziggy's trick of making a tiny collision mesh, but then I lose the prop through the floor...No its not magic...the Mrs thinks... Any ideas what's going on?

This only seems to happen with long thin props, like broomsticks oh and drain pipes!

edited by Dylly on 16/12/2011
16/12/2011 12:14:10

Dylly
Cracked it! Done every collision tutorial I could find...even downloaded the UDK developers kit thing and had a play with that (although windows tells me I'm missing something essential to run it) but finally got the collision to work again. Created two models, one with full collision, and one with partial collision to stop it dropping through the floor on loading and to allow the mother in law, I mean Old Witch, I mean my character to ride on the broom stick with the aid of a transparent ground plain. Phew!
16/12/2011 15:09:21

Luscan
Luscan
I had a play around with the broom and it's a brilliant, brilliant piece of work Dylly! Absolutely outstanding.
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Collision Questions