Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Muvizu art team help?UV's distorting creating .ase

the topic is closed
07/06/2012 10:17:54

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
I'm stumped! I'm trying to import a model into Muvizu, but for some reason when I export as .ase from 3ds Max the UV's on a portion of the model are distorting.Whaaaaa?

Everything looks great in Max, fine and dandy from the outside in Muvizu, I even got the most complex collision mesh I've made to work...

I've made the model the exact same way as I did the top floor, the only difference being an extra mapped area and the collision mesh. I've split the model into different sections, uvw mapping each section, attaching edges then exporting as .ase.

Yet when I import the .ase into Muvizu I get weird UV's on a section of the model. I've rebuilt the model twice now and on each occasion this has happened but on a different section. First time it was the outside of the building, this time it's the stairs.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
07/06/2012 18:30:28

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Hmm... so rebuilding gives the same problem but at a different location? My gut feeling here is that it's because your using multiple uv maps. If you replace all except one uv map with a basic solid coloured texture (manually editing the ASE file to change file names instead of rebuilding anything) do you still get the distorting? Does it happen at the same place for multiple imports of the same ASE file?

--
Direct, don't animate!
07/06/2012 20:51:45

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
Success...but how ?

I've managed to get one instance of the model that is correct. I exported the affected section of the model and the main structure of the model as an object file, and re-imported them as a single mesh. However repeating the same steps again...well back to square one, but I think you are right with the number of maps being the problem. I tried your suggestion with the result that the affected area seemed to be drawing information from two different maps instead of the single map that I applied to it...which is odd.

Now when I opened up the .ase files of the working model and the non working model I found one significant difference (to me anyway) that on the model that worked the once faulty part was now listing the material applied to it as a 'submaterial' of the material applied to the rest of the object I imported.

This is getting a bit 'party of the first party' !Whaaaaa?

Anyway I'm onto the next floor of the building and this time I will try and keep the number of maps to a minimum.
10/06/2012 14:42:23

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Dylly wrote:
Success...but how ?

I've managed to get one instance of the model that is correct. I exported the affected section of the model and the main structure of the model as an object file, and re-imported them as a single mesh. However repeating the same steps again...well back to square one, but I think you are right with the number of maps being the problem. I tried your suggestion with the result that the affected area seemed to be drawing information from two different maps instead of the single map that I applied to it...which is odd.

Now when I opened up the .ase files of the working model and the non working model I found one significant difference (to me anyway) that on the model that worked the once faulty part was now listing the material applied to it as a 'submaterial' of the material applied to the rest of the object I imported.

This is getting a bit 'party of the first party' !Whaaaaa?

Anyway I'm onto the next floor of the building and this time I will try and keep the number of maps to a minimum.

Glad you got this sorted Dylly, it's a strange one certainly. My understanding though, is that all the texture files referenced in the ASE file should be listed as submaterials and you should only have 1 material. In turn each face is given a material. I might be wrong though as I've not had as much practice applying UV maps as you and I don't think I'll have much time to look into this for a few weeks. Remind me then and I'll investigate further

--
Direct, don't animate!
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Muvizu art team help?UV's distorting creating .ase