Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Recommendations for a laptop please

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
30/12/2012 23:44:31

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
Hi Can you please recommended me a low cost laptop for muvizu I'm using the term low cost very loosely here as I understand there are certain factors involved for muvizu but please try to still advise me to the best of your ability please
31/12/2012 00:09:44

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
a desktop pc is probably cheaper do you need a laptop? Myself I am a tightwad so I use a desktop pc I also worry about overheating laptops when doing graphic heavy work for any lenght of time.

For present and future use you should really look at getting one of the newer cpus and a minimum of 6 or 8 gig of ram and a graphics card that has about 1 gig of ram and runs with the new pc set ups otherwise your just flushing your money down the toilet.

soo.. for basic innards I would look at nothing lower then an intel i7 cpu, 8 gigs of ram and a good card probably nvidia although some may argue that "other company" out there is decent now nvidia is still pretty standard again you need to look at performance but I would get nothing lower then an nvidia geoforce 460 and in fact that is considered obsolete but it has the power to work with muvizu (not well though it has perfomance issues) the 560 is a bit better and that is obsolete as well but still pretty decent. Dont invest in a 32 bit system those are for the junk heap and should be free to obtain by now
31/12/2012 00:40:46

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
Thankyoul very much mate great knowledge indeed

so what are we talking in price wise I'm guessing this ant gonna be cheap at all

can you please provide me of a few link that have the exactly specification that you are recommending I had a look on the web but there not exactly matching up to your specifications as I want it to last for a long time in the furture instead of keep on having to fork out as I'm not made out of money I'm also a tightwad and I'm afraid desktop is out of the question as it will be a shared laptop
31/12/2012 01:40:01

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I just bought this laptop and it runs Muvizu as well as my "high powered" desktop workstation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310628
31/12/2012 01:52:31

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
Wow Thankful very much mysto looks like a brilliant choice I have bookmarked it Thankful for your kind recommendation sir
31/12/2012 02:17:21

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
yes pcs are cheap (even laptops are not that expensive anymore) my only concerns with laptops is causing them to overheat and ruining them hence the "do you really need a laptop" statement. There are laptops out there that will run it just fair warning my regular pc overheats and its got like a bazzillion fans and i leave the side off of it and I still see it overheating. I also tend to replace my graphics card once a year that is how hard I push them I simply wear them out and so doing that in a laptop well they are not really worth fixing so for me they are too expensive.

Its up to you the route you take I personally would never purchase a laptop for animation work but then again I make my pc do sommersaults and it never is turned off from the day its purchased to the day it gets tossed in the garbage heap it runs 24/7 as if I am not using it someone else is. So maybe my demands are higher then yours

Just dont buy anything with an older cpu for 300 bucks on sale or whatever its like taking a match and burning your money
31/12/2012 02:21:57

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
Mysto after researching the link you gave to me for that laptop is too is too much for my budget plus I'm in the UK I'm going to need more recommendation and I am afraid the reason is because the laptop will be shared amongst me and my family member I will be using it half a day vice versa they will take it to college with them so that's the reason why I will properly get a desktop in the furture and I know its a he'll of a lot cheaper too than a laptop but for now you know

Any laptops in the lower price range perhaps I think the le ova is something like £629 too much I'm looking to pay about £250 or so may be go to £369 but I don't really want to seems kind of a high price just so I can use muvizu

if you kind of understand where I'm comment from and don't have a problem with over heating really as I won't be using it all day

edited by juicyfruits on 31/12/2012
31/12/2012 02:37:17

mysto
I've run my laptop for hours on end and have not had an issue with overheating. However, if overheating concerns you there are really cheap cooling pads available.
31/12/2012 02:47:33

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
mysto I don't have a problem with overheating the laptop its not as if I will be using it all day can you please re read my comment above so you get the full story I hate misleading people
31/12/2012 02:52:04

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
maybe others have recommendations .. to be honest the link mysto gave was a decent price you can try amd if you want.. I myself never ever purchase anything premade I get them built so all i can do is post minimum specs. As an aside the intel xeon is now out I was looking at one the other day however they are far to expensive at the moment. Anyhow the i7 should be dropping a bit more.. however you can try the amd equivalent if you want but i would not go much cheaper then what mysto linked .. as they say "you get what you pay for"
31/12/2012 09:30:34

gimmick
gimmick
For Muvizu and Sony Vegas, I use a 2010 laptop with:

- Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 54 °C
- 4 GB ram
- nividia GeForce GT 230M - 1024MB
- windows 7

Generally this laptop is ok for everything, but a bit slow for complex video or 3d renderings. Try to get better specifications
31/12/2012 12:00:41

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
Ok thankful guys I guess I have to accept the fact that it has to be an core i7 processor then with a graphics card of of GeForce 620 or 720 right I didn't understand the 720 oQm part of the specs in the above post bit of technology is that the revs of the processor of something

so with this concluded is that the price I have to expect to pay which is about £629 or so for that spec of laptop as I don't see any other prices that seem to be below that

please any links to the specification of machines you suggested please other wise I will be browsing the web for at least a week thinking which laptop are they guys suggestions I mean what make

I know one person did suggest a custom but generic seem to be a lot cheaper as they are mass produce
so please links would be great some know what I am getting into going price wise

Many thanks for the suggestions of specs and the link to the Lenovo but it that the only one and only price? A model and brand name would be great apart from just specs I knowingly g8ven the specs as an estimate for me to shop around but a brand name and links to the exact machine would be fantastic so please gives me some recommended links of the machines with these or abouts these specs
31/12/2012 16:15:23

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
will my friends laptop run exceptionally good with muvizu
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Mobility Radoen HD 5650 @ 1 GB
Processor Intel Core i7 Quad Core Hyper Threading Q720 @ 1.60 ( Turbos to 2.80 ) GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
system Windows 7 Home Premium 64
is my friends laptop decent?
muvizu requies
can it run shade 3.0. Also I'm trying to download a software which requires a 2.4ghz GHz Processor
2.3 Gigabytes of free disk
A graphics card capable of shader model 3 and 1300x ATI
Nvidia 7800 GTX or ATI 1300 graphics card. Will be laptop be good enough to run the software
. Would I be able in the further to update my graphics cards i f I wanted too
will it play modern games
will it be good for using muvizu for furture updates
31/12/2012 18:17:47

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Juicyfruits, I have been reviewing your questions and would like to suggest you consider one thing before you continue on - what do you expect to do with Muvizu? If you expect to be creating broadcast quality, highly detailed videos then you need sell all that you own and buy a monster PC (not a laptop, as they are way too weak - and no, you cant upgrade the graphics card on a laptop except in very rare cases, and it would still work out cheaper to start with a desktop anyway). I create videos with the intent on making them the best I and Muvizu can possibly manage and have (just today!) had to buy an Nvidia 660 Ti beast of a video card in order to be able to work with the massive sets I'm creating. Performance is not cheap.

If, on the other hand, you just want to mess about with Muvizu and have no particular plans for cinema greatness, then just get the laptop with the highest spec graphics chip you can afford - doesn't matter which laptop, Muvizu only really cares about the graphics card. Unfortunately, laptops have rubbish graphics chips, not cards, and that's what makes the difference. Memory's not a big issue with Muvizu, unless it's less than 1Gb, and it can only use 1 core so an i7 isn't really helping. A highly clocked i3 or (preferably) an i5 is your best bet.

In summary Big Grin don't worry about the spec so much - if you really get into the whole Muvizu thing, then you can always build a proper machine to run it later. After all, you gotta learn how to use the thing first!

Hope that helps
31/12/2012 18:36:58

mysto
Some EXCELLENT advice Ziggy! i agreeGood Posting
31/12/2012 19:04:28

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
I hear you loud and clear ziggy ok where's a link to the laptop you just described

yes I don't want no cinema greatness after all I need to learn muvizu first so which laptop for the points you just described I'm no computer genius when it comes to buying one and after all spending any amount on money on a laptop then to find it won't run muvizu and start having rendering problems then I have flushed my money down the toilet

I'm not got a lot of money so I need help with the advise so I won't regreat what laptop I buy

I'm don't even know what a graphics card is best what processor so far the laptops seem way high priced just to use muvizu ? And like you said i7 is no good then why was it even suggested to buy that laptop in the first place?.

I'm sure it was mysto who actually suggested buying the i7 laptop but now seems to be agreeing with you that's it wasn't the right laptop choice hmmmm contridicting maybe. .... would be good what laptop to even buy just to start using muvizu but I want a laptop that I can use for a good few years you see and the reason I say this is not to be with the latest laptop but if muvizu did upgrade a few things the laptop won't be deemed as insurance

hopefully than ziggy you can at least point me in the right direction at least

31/12/2012 19:50:42

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
hehe juicyfruits I think you will find that your getting opinions from people of all different levels of muvizu usage. I myself am like ziggy and its still a hobby for me but I want the best possible videos i can make. And as stated when I said "you get what you pay for" if you go cheap your going to get cheap. There are the i3 and i5 but then your compromising its really up to you.

for me when I run muvizu I also have blender running, photoshop running am probably surfing the internet as I wait for my next 'brain fart' and am always multi tasking so I buy a pc that wont have a meltdown. Its actually getting obsolette but I build it now close to 4 years ago and it cost me about 2k to build. There are many things to consider when getting a pc.

myself I look at pc's that they define as "gaming" pc's whenever I consider a pc to get an idea of what is out there because these are pc's that are built for good graphics performance. I will tell you now that I dont agree with getting a laptop for anything like muvizu ever because I know what putting it on max settings will do , but your set on a laptop so right there your taking a huge hit in performance. You are going to get all gammit of answers depending on what people do with their pc's. I am in ziggy's group I push my pc's until they start to swear at me and have had to drop everything and run out and drop a wad of money on new cards.

I can only out of experience myself tell you what brands to not touch with a ten foot pole with gateway being at the very top of that list lol I went to purchase a cheap pc for a file server so graphics were not a huge issue i saw this pc on sale I purchased it took it home it would not work i returned it they gave me another one I took it home the hard drive was faulty i brought it back grumbled and tried the last one on the shelf IN the store and it was faulty as well. Asus is sort of okay.. I would not touch dell .. mind you I would not touch any prebuilt pc because I dont know what they put in it.

You say others are going to use the pc as well. So its not just for muvizu I would assume what are they doing with it? just using it as a word processor ? or are they going to purchase skyrim and expect to play the game on max settings?

In any event at this point your posts reflect that you want people to tell you what a cheap pc is you want opinions on what is good and what is not good and are confused with the input.

Here is reality. i7 cpu's are on the way out, i3 and i5 are low performing cheap alternatives but you can still build a 64bit pc with it. 4 gigs of ram means everything is going to be slow and your going to run out of ram if you want to do more then one or two things and get lots of messages and pop ups. Laptops are soo not recommended for gaming or graphical work it stresses them out and if you want to upgrade the card you cant .

So really its up to you if you want cheap there is a lot of cheap stuff out there that will run most things its not the best and its going to leave you wanting to upgrade it as you hit performance walls with it. In the end I believe in spending for a good solid product that I wont have to replace for years then spending a few hundred dollars every 6 months or more on garbage. It really is up to you but really pick anything if price is your issue this is a cheap gaming pc its better then anything else posted its also an amd processor but it will probably be okay.. maybe.. dunno I would not purchase it because its build cheaply and i am gonna be spending money on it constantly but its cheap

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2546170&Sku=C447-12001

amd is a cheaper processor. I have owned one it was not bad however its also slower processor but it is a solid processor . I would never purchase a radeon card myself and you listed that there but this cheap pc has a radeon card in it.. there is a reason for that.. they are cheap

I am not trying to be mean but really I am seeing you post as if you want people to say "its okay to buy something cheap" I personally think its a mistake and in the end you are likely going to end up spending more money then if you just got something a bit better

sigh another book.. apologies ...
edited by urbanlamb on 31/12/2012
31/12/2012 19:58:27

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
JF, the i7 thing is to do with overall performance - it's a great all rounder, but when talking specifically about Muvizu, it's excessive (and pricey). As for recommending a particular laptop, I can't help you there as I have little interest in them. However, if I was going to buy one, I'd check which has a video chip that's in the top ten listed on a site like this one here :

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

That would be my starting point to weed out the unwanted. Next look at processor clock speed, then memory, then storage. High as possible for all, max out your budget, and you'll have a decent laptop that will see you right for a year or two. Hope that's of some use to you
31/12/2012 20:39:47

juicyfruits
juicyfruits
I understand all of your points I wasn't saying I want a cheap laptop and if its good

what I am trying to say do I really need a Lenovo that has core i7 and gforce 625m that's cost a Hugh £629 just solely for muvizu

muvizu as a hobby only using that no multi tasking no of that for anything else just muvizu

not running Photoshop and muvizu or cad etc all at once just muvizu as a hobby solely

ziggy that's where I'm confused I have been through all this before look through all the guides and reviews but that's why asking in this forum that's why I came here because the specs of any machine were like Greek to me basically I was asking which laptop would be decent mid range and not cost the world I know nothing about graphic card 635m and 5460 mean nothing to me so yes in a way I am asking some one give me a laptop of which specs will run muvizu surely I don't have to spend a forture just to use muvizu. I'm not a professional user of muvizu and won't be making really long movies that will be if I do down the line I will save up then think about it but for now just now I need some to say no you don't need to spend that much on a laptop just to use muvizu as a hobby

for example I know a p3 won't work I know p4 won't work I know a duo core won't work? So what will lol

there will be no multi tasking to others who share the laptop will just be using word and excell

ok soggy which desktop do you recommended then if it was a desktop please include price

hope this help you get a better understanding where I'm comment from

plus don't mind me this is the reason I'm not a fan of forums Bocoz 'm not partially good at getting my point across Sewell hope this helps and thanks everyone for being so patient
31/12/2012 20:52:30

mysto
If you re-read what I wrote I never "suggested" that you buy anything. I merely posted a link to the laptop that I personally bought. I never said anything about "right or wrong" either. Ziggy gave some great advice in his post that I agree with. I fail to see how that is "contradicting".
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Recommendations for a laptop please