Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketch up model making tip

the topic is closed
06/08/2013 04:13:16

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
I dont know if this has been posted in the forum before.
anyone who uses sketch up will know this problem..... dodgy looking shadows on flat surfaces. if you are like me and have no clue how to make ambient occlusion maps and things like that. i found a method to sort out them pesky shadows.

here i made a simple model with a hole in the middle to show you what i mean.
on the right model with horrible shadows on the left a lovely model with no horrible shadows.

here is the same model in sketch up before exporting. To get rid of those horrible shadows all you need to do is this....
use the offset tool and make a very small border on the face of your model around the edges and around whatever is causing the shadows, like i have done on the picture above.

the off set tool is the bottom right one.. or just use the line tool, if the offset tool wont do the job.
now when you import your model into muvizu them pesky shadows should have gone. hope this helps you out. it makes your models look a whole lot better

even using this border method on a simple cube will make shadows better.

box on left...... no small borders....
box on right...... small border method
both boxes are made from the same model
edited by fazz68 on 06/08/2013
06/08/2013 06:44:18

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Fazz - I love it. I have never been able to get rid of these ! Many thanks.
06/08/2013 15:00:45

Mike_Num_5
Mike_Num_5
Excellent! Haven't visited Sketchup for a while, but this might just inspire me to go back and have a look over some of my old models

Thanks for sharing!
06/08/2013 15:50:05

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
Nice little tutorial this looks similar to edge creasing in blender you use to make sharp edges and it gets rid of any shading.
06/08/2013 16:34:58

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
That is so simple - thanks for letting us know!

May I suggest adding the information to the Wiki? Big Grin

http://muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/57/importing-to-muvizu-from-sketchup
06/08/2013 19:34:28

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Fazz, you are a flippin' genius - I always knew you had to add extra lines to try to 'even out' the shadows, but it never worked across the whole model... Using the offset feature like this is going to change that for good - thankyou! Toast
10/08/2013 21:11:30

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Cylinders - gotta work out how to do this to cylinders... aha!!

1. Select the edge of the cylinder

2. Use the Move tool to move it up/down but with Ctrl pressed (which forces Sketchup to copy the line)

3. Move the copy of the line (constrained to up/down) and you have your seam without changing the shape.

And just to show it works, here's a door I was just working on (that didn't work right with the lights, as usual, as you can see on the left). After it's been 'Fazzed', as we should call it, it looks great - thanks again dude!

10/08/2013 22:17:42

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
excellent stuff ziggy
now how do you make a wiki page? can i just copy and paste from this thread or do they want full screen pictures like they have on there? im very lazy Big Grin
11/08/2013 08:03:01

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
hehe "its been fazzed" I have to be careful that can have some interesting um twists to it.. i feel a silly comedy sketch coming on.. well when I am not singed around the edges from making so many superman videos in a row.. I will probably do something silly
11/08/2013 13:18:41

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
urbanlamb wrote:
hehe "its been fazzed" I have to be careful that can have some interesting um twists to it.. i feel a silly comedy sketch coming on..

lol. i think it would involve being smothered in cheese Big Grin

on a side note.... ziggys cylinder border method also works on arches and various curved surfaces where you can get a continuous line from edge to edge. now onto cones.......................... Big Grin
12/08/2013 00:52:19

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
Happy cone editing. I am sure that is possible with more complex stuff if your patient enough

*takes my insanely stiff hands off the keyboard and goes back to watch tv.. hopes they get better tomorrow.. i hate typing with two fists *
12/08/2013 15:54:36

gimmick
gimmick
Waoooohh ! this is a fantastic tip ! Applause

in the past, this probleme of shadows from SU to Muvizu made me crazy ! Hammer Time
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketch up model making tip