Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Imported object collision

the topic is closed
24/07/2011 15:35:42

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Ok folks
Who can tell me how to change an object which has come from sketchup and can be imported into Muvizu so that it has zero collision.
It's a fire engine and I'm trying to have characters sitting inside it, but it seems impenetrable to them.

Dear Jim can you fix it for me?

Cheers
Dreeko
24/07/2011 17:16:27

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Greenscreen is your friend.
24/07/2011 17:24:21

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Dreeko - it can't have zero collision (as it would fall through the world - making very bad things happen) but if you give it a very small collision volume (such as the four wheels and seats) it should work.

I know that you have already created collision volumes, but for those of you who haven't I will link to my video at the bottom of this post.

If you have already done this then there may be a problem with the .ASE file (the common one is forgetting to put the UCX_ in before the collision volume).

Take it easy,
-Jim

24/07/2011 21:48:37

barrys
barrys
Dreekoid

Every object must have collision -

- but it doesn't have to be all-encompassing. Make a collision volume for the wheels and seats only. Your fire engine will spawn without any problems and there shouldn't be any collision getting in the way of the cab.

Barry
25/07/2011 10:59:32

Dreeko
Hello folks,

I've followed Jim's video and the same problem persists. I have collision with the whole object no matter what i do
25/07/2011 12:06:26

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Dreeko
I faced the same problem in my last animation and this is how i botched it.
a) imported (forklift truck) model without messing about with collision

b) unchecked "can be stood on" and checked "can float"

c) moved (standing) characters into position and scaled model so they looked like they were sitting.

I know it looks crap (as I was in a rush) but I thinkk it would have worked if I'd been more careful about character positioning and shot composition

I tried to use the method of using a invisible backdrop to "lift" the characters but the collision properties of the model would not let me do this.
edited by toonarama on 25/07/2011
edited by toonarama on 25/07/2011
25/07/2011 12:14:21

Dreeko
Thanks for helping but I've tried all of those things. The trusty old floating backdrop for elevating the characters was my first port of call but i couldn't move it to the required position due to the objects collision properties which led me to creating this thread
Sigh...search goes on!

Cheers
D
edited by Dreeko on 25/07/2011
25/07/2011 12:14:26

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Dreeko,

It sounds like there is a problem with the .ASE model - try opening it up with a text editor and doing a search for UCX_ - delete every section that starts with UCX_ and then try adding in the small collision area back in.

Cheers,
-Jim
25/07/2011 12:44:46

Dreeko
glasgowjim wrote:
Hi Dreeko,

It sounds like there is a problem with the .ASE model - try opening it up with a text editor and doing a search for UCX_ - delete every section that starts with UCX_ and then try adding in the small collision area back in.

Cheers,
-Jim

Alas there are no other instances of UCX_ other than the two placed in the small collision area

I am at a total loss
25/07/2011 14:54:15

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
Greenscreen with masking everytime...

Would be nice to have our puppets sitting and moving with their vehicles though
25/07/2011 16:20:44

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
If it's any consolation - and I don't know why it would be - I was never able to get collision to work with Sketchup either, even with following the tutorial point by point.

After watching Jonbez's tutorial on the rocks I tried an experiment in Carrara though And was able to create an object with a little bitty cube inside it that acted as the collision so it sat on the ground but was almost completely permeable. I don't even remember how I did it now, I'll have to go back and see if I can replicate it. I'm thinking that would work for your needs as well but don't ask me how to do it in Sketchup.
29/07/2011 03:38:09

RightURKen
RightURKen
barrys wrote:

Not really. As long as it has "floats in the air" It can be still be useable. The ability to turn collision off would be a feature I would love to have on Muvizu. Even already made a thread on that matter.
29/07/2011 12:45:13

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
RightURKen wrote:
barrys wrote:

Not really. As long as it has "floats in the air" It can be still be useable. The ability to turn collision off would be a feature I would love to have on Muvizu. Even already made a thread on that matter.

There is a difference between having no collision and being able to intersect with objects - Collision volumes are required for every single object so that they do not fall through the floor/walls/ceiling and cause a crash.
26/09/2011 00:37:16

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I thought I'd better share this with the greater community - bloody collision detection. Like everyone else above, couldn't get it to work like in the tutorial despite following it step by step. While trying multiple things tonight, I put the UCX_ prefix in again but specifically in capitals rather than just ucx_ - shouldn't make a difference then VOILA!! The bleedin' thing worked. Why the hell does the capitalisation matter?! Ah well, don't care, it works.

So, to recap, make sure to add ucx_ as UCX_ or it won't work. And, to be fair, GlasgowJim did write it like that each time he mentioned it, so it's our own collective faults for not noticing!
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Imported object collision