Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? A good Muvizu werewolf?

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
21/02/2016 03:57:17

braj
braj
ok, so I am looking for a good werewolf, my options are continuing to make Beefy a werewolf, which has definite limitations, I can't exactly make him growl and sneer, which is a lot of the fun. Since he will be a bit in the shadows anyhow, I am thinking of using Poser to animate limited wolfy bits. But my problem is most models I can find are very realistic sorts of things, does anyone know where to find models for 3d apps that look somewhat like Muvizu's characters? I'm using Blender and Poser, I think I prefer Poser for this sort of thing though. I'm happy to pay a modest sum for the model.
21/02/2016 05:51:03

braj
braj
Well, this is what I went with, it is not fancy, but it looks enough like Muvizu for me. You can't take off his armor though. I was able to get the Wolverine things off though, that's really good. I guess I have to make the werewolf a knight.

21/02/2016 07:53:06

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
awesome looking werewolf, Braj! With that armor, one might say he's a "creature of the knight..."

(Ba-boom! Tsh!) ;-)
21/02/2016 07:55:42

braj
braj
Lol, yeah. And I have an extra castle for him too I think, so he'll be a 'lost knight' or something, everyone tries to find him but they only hear him howl. I'll have to work hard to get the integration to look OK.
21/02/2016 15:34:10

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Looks kinda like the werewolf breeder neglected to have this one neutered.... ;-)
21/02/2016 18:32:40

braj
braj
PatMarrNC wrote:
Looks kinda like the werewolf breeder neglected to have this one neutered.... ;-)

Haha, yeah, that is supposed to cover his privates, not look like his privates. Luckily that was removable. It doesn't look as bad in 'person' though
22/02/2016 10:19:36

braj
braj
And I did my first little screen test tonight, nothing special, just the wolfy walking across a Muvizu set, so I know I need to work carefully to get the lighting right, and I am so thrilled Muvizu outputs TARGA layers That will make all the difference making this believable. I FINALLY after years of owning Poser but barely using it now know how to use the walk designer, it is stupid easy, so getting the character in Muvizu sets now will be easy. I'm so excited Now I really need to work on the script, no more excuses. The wolf is going to have way more of a prominent role now, before I was going to hide Beefy in the shadows so he didn't look too awful, now the wolf can shine. I better get some sleep now.
22/02/2016 14:03:19

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I'm looking forward to seeing your werewolf video, Braj! And I think it's cool that you are incorporating elements from Poser into your production.

Poser also has a character designer and a surprisingly easy-to-use way of rigging 3D models that were created in other software. For somebody doing a series that requires a recurring character, it would be worth the effort to model the character and rig it in Poser. It would be perfect for creating any one-off pose or movement, which could then be spliced into the final version.

Poser also has completely rigged hands, which could be used for close-ups in which manipulation of an object is necessary.
23/02/2016 20:25:25

braj
braj
Yeah, all of that What is especially cool is that I can import AVI files so I can put the actual animated scene right next to my model while working, that is going to make the integration a lot nicer. I'm really loving Poser right now. I'm going to try and update to the pro version when I can, I was thinking of getting iClone but the cost to get to the point where I'm at in Muvizu alone would be more than I can afford, I'm disabled and have very limited means. I think iClone would be great eventually, or something else at that time perhaps, but for right now this pipeline of Muvizu>Poser>Sony Movie Studio seems pretty great. If anyone is interested I saw the version 9 standard that I have online for $30 the other day, it can be had cheap here and there. I think the rendering in that version works well enough with Muvizu, you can adjust the shaders etc so it is flexible. It has Collada export (no armature though) so if you find Poser models you like, you can easily export and convert them to FBX in Blender.
29/02/2016 02:07:55

mindiflyth
mindiflyth
If it works for your story to make the werewolf a knight, I'd say you're good to go! But if you're hoping for a non-knight, I'd suggest looking around in the furry/anthro community a little. Somebody must have a cartoony wolf head you could use, or even just a dog nose you could put on Beefy. I also think you could do the job by texturing Beefy, making him kind of a classic Lon Chaney Jr. wolfman with painted-on details. But again, if the knight thing works, I think you're all set!
edited by mindiflyth on 29/02/2016
29/02/2016 04:24:21

braj
braj
Well, I made a screentest with a quick and dirty werewolf based on Beefy and my Poser werewolf, just the head, and it isn't terrible, the main issue is that werewolves can open and close their mouths, and move their eyes, both which I am limited with using a head prop on Beefy. BUt I'm considering when this may make some sense to use, from the behind and in shadows maybe, possible to stand in until the real wolf is animated. You can see Beefy's face poking through the back of the mouth a bit too, and the texturing was quick and dirty, I only wanted to test so I'm sure this can be fixed up. MAybe that in conjunction with Poser something can work well, but the Poser wolf has more interesting legs and whatnot, so unless I just go with the Beefy wolf, it will be limited to things I can probably do better in Poser anyhow. I wouldn't really be able to use Beefy's animations. The Poser wolf also has cool claws, no claws on Beefy though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9300947/wOLFTEST1.mp4
29/02/2016 04:25:34

braj
braj
I can definitely make several heads with different setups too, that's possibly what I'll end up doing if somehow the Poser thing becomes too hard to manage.
29/02/2016 04:48:26

mindiflyth
mindiflyth
That's a good-looking chracter! Is that a Muvizu environment?

If it's a frozen head, I think you can get away with more if the mouth is closed or only open a little. If his mouth is wide open but not moving that kind of looks frozen, like a taxidermy head, but if his mouth is closed that could look more natural.

I'm kind of a noob myself and I don't have Muvizu open to check this, but could you make Beefy's real head invisible so it won't show through the wolf head?
29/02/2016 04:55:57

braj
braj
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using the head at the time, just on the spur of the moment I grabbed a OBJ version I was using to do storyboards in Manga Studio, which lets you use 3d static props. It is great with Muvizu and poser, I can insert the character and even light it in MAnga Studio and it looks just about how it will look when rendered, so my storyboards are hopefully going to work well for shot planning. My issue right now isn't technical, I'm super distracted by stupid politics in the USA. Crazy times here. That's why I make things in Muvizu, to get away.|

Oh, yeah, the environment is Muvizu.
03/03/2016 04:14:40

braj
braj
OK, so after much though and a lot of practice animations in Poser, I have determined the cost/time analysis :P is that it will take exponentially longer to try and animate the wolf character though the scenes I want. I gave a better go at the wolf and tried to make the head fit Beefy better, I think the results are getting near sufficient, and the time I will save in production will be enormous.

One thing that would be cool to see is what Anime Studio calls 'switch layers'. These are basically a folder with assets that has a switch, so you can move between assets and create an animation, it would make a opening/closing mouth possible, even two items that you could switch between as necessary would be enough to get the effects I want in one scene without having to change characters. Changing the head pieces are harder than just saving off a favorite character and using the two characters together, that's what I'll be doing anyhow. Now I need to figure out how to give him claws. I don't see that there are any way to do that except a simple texture with paint for nails, but it should look ok. If anyone has any suggestions... if Muvizu people are listening, claws for Beefy would be great.

03/03/2016 05:12:16

braj
braj
And I got claws. The hands don't animate, but they are claws. The werewolf is going back to being a more minor character among many now that the animation won't be the biggest thing in the flick. I'll think about making him feet tomorrow, though maybe his feet are fine, I don't know how that would work with walk cycles. But anyhow, another project for another day. Muvizu is so fun.

edited by braj on 03/03/2016
03/03/2016 05:37:21

mindiflyth
mindiflyth
That's terrific! It should blend in very well with the Muvizu look. Are you going to add the wolf head to the Muvizu store, so people can download it?

If I was going to criticize Muvizu, I'd say that I'd like to see more customization options and less "finished" stuff. Characters like Mandy and the new Asian characters look great, but you've only got a few outfits to choose from for their look. I'd like to see more options for the existing characters, or new characters with more options. I used to do stuff on Xtranormal and it was a big frustration how you could hardly customize anything. Muvizu is much, much more customizable, but I see these new characters without a lot of options and I worry Muvizu may be moving in the wrong direction. I'd really like to see the superhero characters have just as many options as the other older characters, so you could easily give Beefy the dog head or bunny ears or whatever.
03/03/2016 06:17:26

braj
braj
I don't think I technically can share it, I started with a commercial model then altered it, but the texture is still from that model, and the hands are unchanged, I just grabbed and repurposed them. But as I learn I'll try and make something available I made from scratch.

I am going to try and make some things I can share, with my own textures, I just need to find the energy, I want to get some momentum on the little fantasy thing, that's why I decided to forgo using Poser for animating the werewolf, and now I feel encouraged to make some goblins or something, trolls under a bridge perhaps. I have the process down now, just import a screenshot of the needed character into Blender and start sculpting, and get the eyes to fit well. And now I understand hands too, I hadn't tried that but I can probably quickly make some insectoid props and stuff of I could share. I want to be a good citizen here :0 and see Muvizu thrive, so again, when I get a chance I'll be doing some original stuff, hopefully ok quality.Blender is really good for this I'm finding.
edited by braj on 03/03/2016
03/03/2016 17:33:48

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
That's a good werewolf - it's been interesting to watch his development. Look forward to seeing what you come up with next
03/03/2016 18:10:46

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Braj, how did you create the claws? And attach them to Beefy's hands?
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? A good Muvizu werewolf?