Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Moscow Assets

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
10/02/2016 20:59:43

blickfang
blickfang
Hi All

Man, I am having an awful time trying to import buildings into Muvizu. I am using Sketchup's 3D Warehouse and trying to get some of the famous buildings (St. Basil's, etc) and Muvizu complains about everyone I try. It says its too large or outside of the....(I forgot; I'm at work right now) Does anybody have some Moscow building models stashed away on their hard drive some where? Thy can be ultra low poly if need be. I am making a new music video for this song:

https://www.reverbnation.com/blickfang4/song/25278370-moscow-featuring-maria-seliverstova

Thanks!
11/02/2016 01:39:26

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
In sketchup, make sure the longest side of your model is less than 30 meters. You can use your measuring tape tool to check it. Move your location to close to the centre of the Muvizu skydome and then try to import.
11/02/2016 13:27:50

blickfang
blickfang
Hi Ziggy72

The longest edge is 17m. I 've navigated all around the dome and can not get it to work. I wish I could attach the .ase file here
11/02/2016 14:38:41

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I've gotten the message that my model is too large or outside the world just by adding collision to it. If you have added collision to the bottom of the ASE file, try removing it to see if that makes a difference.

Also, scroll away from ground level before trying to import anything large like a building.

And also inspect your model to make sure that the Y axis origin is at the base of the building. If Y0 is anywhere else, MUVIZU will try to locate Y0 slightly above ground level, which could plunge part of the building under ground.
15/02/2016 17:56:31

blickfang
blickfang
Hi Pat

I was able to finally import an asset successfully. By successfully I mean it was a giant blob of funky angles. Scrolling away from the ground (about midway up in the Muvizu world) helped; thanks!

I just need to figure out how to change textures to nothing in Sketchup 8 or figure out how to get those textures into Muvizu. Do you or anyone know of a good Sketch up 8 tute for that?

Heres the model I am trying to import:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=2f60ed605e31f05163995fb119e59971

Thanks
15/02/2016 18:51:38

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
blickfang wrote:
Hi Pat

I was able to finally import an asset successfully. By successfully I mean it was a giant blob of funky angles.

ah yes, the giant blob of funky angles... I know him well...

Scrolling away from the ground (about midway up in the Muvizu world) helped; thanks!
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

I just need to figure out how to change textures to nothing in Sketchup 8 or figure out how to get those textures into Muvizu. Do you or anyone know of a good Sketch up 8 tute for that?

here's a good tutorial on applying textures in Sketchup:
http://muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/99

OK... you may want to rethink the plan of converting this model to ASE format. I Love ASE for small items, because it smooths out the low poly surface and makes it look better... but for anything more complicated than a few surfaces (and that building is very complicated) the sketchup ASE converter will take hours, and then after the long wait, it'll choke. And you'll be angry. Don't ask how I know this.

You probably want to download and install Blender, because it can export to FBX format (and it does so VERY fast!). Also, Blender is pretty good about recognizing the textures that have already been applied to a model, so you might be able to skip that whole learning curve. And Blender is free... that makes it convenient!

The challenge is getting a Sketchup model into OBJ format so Blender can read it. If you go to Sketchup's Extension Warehouse and search for LIPID OBJ EXPORTER (also free), and install it, then you can save any of Sketchup's models to OBJ, open in Blender, resize, export to FBX

Hope this helps! Good luck, and keep us posted!
edited by PatMarrNC on 15/02/2016
15/02/2016 21:50:28

blickfang
blickfang
Thanks for the timely response, Pat!

I was under the impression that only .ase files could be imported into Muvizu?
15/02/2016 22:08:44

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
blickfang wrote:
Thanks for the timely response, Pat!

I was under the impression that only .ase files could be imported into Muvizu?

Muvizu can use ASE and FBX files
15/02/2016 23:11:20

ziggy72
You know, you could probably cut that model up into smaller sections (in Sketchup) and be able to import it that way. You'd have to make sure to remove the collision, but it's doable.
16/02/2016 14:57:42

blickfang
blickfang
Hi ziggy72

I was able to import that model....somehow lol. I also took your advice and chopped away all but the main belltower. The only problem now is it does not have a lot of texture options; 2 that is. I have no idea how to remedy that........do you? :-)
16/02/2016 16:21:13

ziggy72
Before you export the model, make sure to right click on the whole model and Explode any groups. Sometimes that actually messes up the model, but that's why we have undo Explode it as much as you can, is my point. You have to export each texture used individually, so that you can reload them back into their appropriate slots in the model once you've got it back into Muvizu. Or you can use the Raylectron texture exporter to do it for you with one click, and you can find that plugin here :

http://raylectron.com/Raylectron_Textures_Exporter_Setup_Win32.exe

This is for Sketchup 8, no idea if it works with the later versions.
16/02/2016 17:45:10

blickfang
blickfang
Wow this little project is getting more involved! :-)

I think am going to go a different route. I am going to use this little program called Anim8or for the main modelling. It's pretty straightforward and I am not going to be rivet counting with my models :-)

I had one of the domes made and it was recognized so I think I'm off to a good start:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207866097383954&set=gm.465006127023998&type=3&theater

I will have to export the model from Anim8or to .3ds or OBJ and then open that in Blender (yikes) and export that to FBX

And then as I type: Is there away to remove collision in the premade objects in Muvizu? I would think yes?
16/02/2016 23:50:38

ziggy72
Muvizu's premade objects have collision that can only be turned off for characters, but not other premade objects. As for your model, I only know how to remove collision with ASE files, not FBX.
17/02/2016 14:49:04

WabbyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Wabby
ziggy72 wrote:
Muvizu's premade objects have collision that can only be turned off for characters, but not other premade objects. As for your model, I only know how to remove collision with ASE files, not FBX.

I'm not absolutely sure, but with FBX format, it's impossible to totally removing the collision... you must create at least one collision mesh or let Muvizu (the Unreal Engine) generate its own by default.

You can read the Wiki for more informations about FBX and Muvizu
17/02/2016 15:13:10

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
blickfang - It's the same with FBX as it is with ASE - you can't get rid of collision, you just have to make it really small.

Let me know if you need help and I'll see if I can do a Wiki.
17/02/2016 15:33:35

blickfang
blickfang
Hi Guys

So I made a model in Anim8or of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in Moscow. I imported it as a .3ds in Blender. I imported it as an FBX in Muvizu. I think I accomplished what I set out to do.

However, now I want to add some material. Because if you look at the model from the distance it looks ok. But up close it just looks like a big white thing. Now I have to figure out how to add textures. :-)

Here is what I have so far. I am open to criticism :-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207907511859290&set=p.10207907511859290&type=3&theater
17/02/2016 16:33:32

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Your link isn't working for me.... error message says "The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in." (I'm guessing you have your privacy settings set to allow only friends to view content on your FB page)

but I want to modify my previous comments about ASE vs FBX

A lot of the problems I've had with ASE have been because of dirty models from Sketchups download archive. By dirty, I mean extra overlapping polygons and other geometry that muddy the task of exporting a nice clean ASE file.

Now that you are making your own model, you may want to try ASE again. It works much faster when you give it a nice clean model, and you don't tend to get the scrambled results that have been the norm for me when I try to use (downloaded) Sketchup models. If you make the model yourself in Sketchup it will probably be clean.

As far as adding textures, you'll have to consult ANIM8ORs docs and see how to create UV maps using that software. Once you get your surfaces laid out as flat panels and saved as a JPG, then you can open the JPG in a graphics editor and put colors or photo realistic textures on your 2-d JPG surfaces. Then when you apply the graphic you created back to your model, it will wrap around the geometry
edited by PatMarrNC on 17/02/2016
18/02/2016 21:30:22

blickfang
blickfang
Hey Guys

Thanks for your input. I took a .3ds model and opened it in Anim8or. I stripped it down a bit, added some cartooning colors and when I get home I'll open it in Blender and Export it as an FBX. And then open it in Muvizu. And then see what happens. I wish we could post pix here. I did a bang up job with some lighting and the Anim8or renderererererer Thanks to Chigirinsky as well; he made the bilk of the model Oh wait.....

http://www.blickfangrocks.com/blickfang_moscow_.jpg
19/02/2016 00:07:10

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
nice model! Great job!
19/02/2016 03:34:10

braj
braj
That's gr8t!
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Moscow Assets